• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are second generation Chargers drying up?

I can get you into this one if you like!

FCEABD07-98A0-4B4E-9B07-F38A5DFCCA4C.jpeg 227FB15E-F4D9-45CD-9EBE-1E6E1650541A.jpeg A0FF22AC-D27A-429E-A4D4-D301FBD41E0C.jpeg ACEFA2DE-A04F-490A-9382-F3F12AB52E77.jpeg 30BCB335-C98D-4A91-9EE5-D2D9F7F40636.jpeg

Was riding in the back seat of a car today one town over from mine and spotted a ‘68 charger with stripe covered in **** under a canopy in someone’s back yard. I’d never notice that while driving.

Was riding in the back seat of a car today one town over from mine and spotted a ‘68 charger with stripe covered in **** under a canopy in someone’s back yard. I’d never notice that while driving.
and did you stop?

It is amazing that the values are what they are now. I drove 68-69 chargers for regular everyday use until 1992 or so.Back in the day I salvaged more than a few. now, if a B body has a Title, I don't salvage it. The following was retrieved from a field in June of this year, but it has a title, so into storage it goes!
In case you missed it, a 1969 sad Charger original turquoise with white Interior.

1969 charger sept 6 2020.jpg left rear quarter.jpg

It seems that the "desirable years" - 68-71 or thereabout, are getting a bit hard to find lately. But it might be like RC said, the lockdown has folks being cautious, etc.

IMO the value of all our muscle cars will keep droping as us baby boomers keep getting older and are selling the ones we have and not buying more as we age
we drove the prices up buying the cars we had as kids due to a romance we had with them the generations behind us dont have the same connection that we do. So in the long run drivers and finished cars may become less abundant and the big projects will be every where due to the cost to fix will be so over the top of the value a lot more so than today even

IMO the value of all our muscle cars will keep droping as us baby boomers keep getting older and are selling the ones we have and not buying more as we age
we drove the prices up buying the cars we had as kids due to a romance we had with them the generations behind us dont have the same connection that we do. So in the long run drivers and finished cars may become less abundant and the big projects will be every where due to the cost to fix will be so over the top of the value a lot more so than today even

Second gen Chargers are the hot Mopar these days,as were the Cuda's in the last marker peak. pricewise Chargers are still very much defying this statement. I do believe that at some point this may apply,but people are paying top dollar for them,and saving them in almost condition.

It ain't worth selling my '69 Charger R/T SE..... the blank stares of disbelief I get when I respond "it's NOT a restoration" are absolutely hilarious ?

Typical conversation when stopped somewhere for gas etc.

Hey Nice Car Buddy
Gee Thx, yeah and it still runs great, it's a really good old Car.
Did you restore it yourself ?
Nope.... it ain't restored, it's original just really well maintained.
You gotta be kidding me ?
Nope, have a look (proceed to lift the hood, open a door, etc)
Do you know WTF that thing is worth ?
No idea as it ain't For Sale

In my youth I had a couple of Chargers, a 69 parts car, a 68 RT that was beat but fun to drive, 71 B5 383 AT car that I hated and a 70 RT w/o a drive train. I was never a Charger "guy", they just didn't do anything for me as I was a die hard E body guy. Fast forward 40 or so years and I have 2 E bodies and 70 RR, so I decided I wanted a Charger for the collection. Well, as noted here, the prices have gone stupid and I figured I would just have to live without one, but then fell into a 71. Now I have reassessed my position and while I never liked the 71+, I have now grown to like them. I would love to have a 70 but there is no way I will be able to afford one nor would I pay what they are going for, so I will stick with what I have.

I feel grateful That I kept one charger after all these years. My present one I bought in June of 1985 from the original owner.

But, in 1970 when I was 18 yrs old I went to Basic training in the USAF, and day one the TI showed up in the parking lot driving a 1969 Superbee, red with white Interior.
I loved that car, and thur the whole time there I pledged one day I could make enough to buy a superbee.It never happened, with kids, school, yada yada. But in June of 1997 I was told about a nice unrestored original 69 Coronet 440 Two door Hardtop at a used car lot. I did not believe the tip, and ignored it for four days. Finally, I decided to check it out. I drove a big Ram Cummins by then, and had trouble jockying around all the little cars in the lot.
I almost left, but could only go forwards, and as I passed the garage, I saw it inside. I got out right away, and walked up to the guy with a hammer in his hand beating on the carb trying to start it. I yelled at him and asked him what he was trying to accomplish?He responded by saying he had been trying to start it for a week, and was so mad he just wanted to get rid of it. we came to an agreement, and on hour later it was on my trailer. I have that car to this day, and it was a low mile grandpa's car, and looked it. It looks the same today, with 4,000 more miles on it,but It is a loaded 383 car,PD brakes,air,tach,road wheels, and more. And all on the original window sticker. I the prices would still like to find another Superbee, but the prices now prohibit that, and I would never sell my current car to get one.
041.JPG

So, it isn't a superbee, bee but it is close enough for me!

So he was using the Chevy carb adjustment tool on a Mopar... LOL... good catch and buy, nice car.

thank you!
I wish I had taken a picture of the intake manifold. after removing it and turning it over, I saw a hole two inches square in it, with at least 10 quarts of gas polluted oil in the crank case. that must have been a hell of a backfire! amazingly, with a good Intake, carb, and fresh oil, the car started right up!The car had a 69 roadrunner engine in it at the time. but a few days after getting the car, the owner called me and asked me to get rid of the junk it came with.

The junk was the original numbers matching block, heads, Intake, carb, and the original bill of sale from the dealer, and window sticker! {68k actual miles at the time}
I have no idea how that roadrunner engine got there, but In 2000 the correct engine was rebuilt and Installed, and runs like new again, and is all correct

Those of us fortunate enough to own First Generation Chargers don't worry about the price/value bottom falling out.
We like what others don't even if the price of our cars never reached outer space.
The joy of driving a vintage Mopar is reward enough.

The value of the first generation Chargers are as strong as I have ever seen them these days. They are being pulled up by the skyrocketed price of the second generation Chargers. My friend has about 10 of them, and while they have a limited following, they are still very expensive to restore, and are not in the same league as the second generation Chargers. I love to look at them, but I don't want one. The Charger needed to be it's own car not a fastback Coronet. They made the right decision in 68 by making it just that. It's a lesson that Chrysler should have learned in 64 with the Barracuda, had they designed a whole new car,and not a fastback Valiant they could have owned that whole market segment!

I have owned/restored 5-6 second gen. Chargers back in the 90's. They were expensive to restore, the grills, and the rear end sheet metal especially. I liked them, but loved the 68-9 RR more, and better yet the early B bodies which I have now. I am old, retired poor enough,and yes I could have another Charger but I will not pay the idiot price for a sorry roller or a driver or a restored one, so there I go!!! They are toys for me, and I cold not sleep at night knowing I have a $40,000 (and UP!?) Charger toy!!!
The second gen. Charger, for whatever reason,has become the darling of the Mopar world.
Like said above, as us Boomers get to old /die off, prices of these cars will fall.
It takes too much time and money to restored a project that costs stupid money as a total project car. For the Charger to be worth big bucks restored, it better be a nut/bolt perfect job. Who will pay such $$$ for a half assed driver?

Auto Transport Service
Back