• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are SPC Control Arms Strong Enough

John Esch

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I Drag Race My 69 Satellite launch is a wheels up affair, when suspension goes in full rebound upper control arm hits suspension limiter (i.e. bump stop). Not sure if the 2 bolts holding front link will take the abuse of constant wheel stands and the failure would be catastrophic. Has anyone tried these on a car that leaves hard drag racing?
20170611_081543.jpg

I prefer the QA1 UCA because it has a pad for the bump stop, grease fittings and Made in the USA. For the price of the SPC UCA you could also pick up a set of QA1 adjustable strut rods and still have lunch money. I had no issue dialing in 5.5 degree of positive caster on several different b bodies. For a drag car I usually set them 2.5-4.5 depending on the front tire.

I really like your car!

Ya I like the how adjustable they are but I don't want that to happen!

I Drag Race My 69 Satellite launch is a wheels up affair, when suspension goes in full rebound upper control arm hits suspension limiter (i.e. bump stop). Not sure if the 2 bolts holding front link will take the abuse of constant wheel stands and the failure would be catastrophic. Has anyone tried these on a car that leaves hard drag racing?View attachment 1573965
Leaving the line hard vs the UCA arms hitting the stops hard might be two different things,
Want to confirm that important point in the context of your question?
My suspicion is the hit on the stops may not be as hard as it might be perceived by a driver.
One indicator might be if you had video of the front wheel at a rather high frame rate to indicate any significant rebound or shudder of the wheel upon first hit of the stop.
I am asking is because I don't know.

For my current beater, the plan was to obtain maximum upward suspension travel.

In my experience the limiting factor in upward travel is an interference between the UCA and frame, followed by the bump stop bracket, and eventually the working angles of the steering knuckle components.

You can easily get 4.5-6" of upward travel depending on ride height. As stated the bump stops can be used to limit upward travel.

Car is limited to 4.5" of upward travel or it kills the sidewalls being a b motor/4 speed/ 8" tire deal.

I have considered trying to take out bump stop to get 5+ and running a few additional PSI in the bias plys.

FB_IMG_1696901029450.jpg

in this picture the suspension was OEM 1968 sans sway bar and 3/4" of bump stop. The car drives much better with the QA1 stuff as expected.

245273820_4755295684483345_1567871985773050704_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back