• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there engine mount adjustments?

Joel Talka

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
Hi, Yesterday I dropped the new small block (360 block) engine into my 1966 Coronet. Prior to this I picked up a set of 360 motor mounts from Norm Koller via eBay. My K frame is a "90", small block, and the prior engine was a 318 LA. The engine went in without any issues however it is crooked, meaning that the bell housing is about 1/2" off center (to the right) as I look at it from under the car...

I've installed a bunch of motors over the years and have never run into this.. What should I be doing with this before I install the tranny??

Mopar engines do sit to the right side of center. I have heard it was done for better steering column clearance, but don't know if that is the sole reason. Look at your rearend, it is offset as well.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly this is the first Mopar I have done sine the 70's, all the others have been Chevys so my recollections are not that good. I read something about having the motor mounts not torqued until the tranny and mount are in place. I may loosen them up and see how it plays out. I appreciate the input...

A 1965 is dramatically crooked in there.

TTI used to publish placement info for (STOCK_FACTORY) motor location like this photo, that they would expect to see for proper header positioning, but I don't see it on their website anymore..... Maybe I'm just not finding it???

AbodyHemiPlacement.jpeg

Are you sure you got 360 mounts?

A VERY common issue is using 318 mounts with a 360 block, causes the exact situation you seem to be describing.

Driver's side mount is different. Common back in the day to shim with washers.

YY1 makes an excellent point, verify the mounts are the right ones.
And yes like you said loosen everything back up and see if you can get it to sit where you want it. There's some wiggle available in the bracket assemblies and various bolt holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back