• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these mopar wheels?

Dakotaacres

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone identify these wheels? Are them mopar? 4 1/2 lug pattern.

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Those "Magnum 500" style wheels were made for all three (maybe even all four) major US automakers at one time or another.

I don't see a pentastar, but check by the valve stem hole.

Best to measure the lug spacing.

That looks like a mid seventies Ford/Mercury Magnum 500 wheel. Mostly found on Torino's,Cougars and Rancheros.

Of course ford wheels are also 5 on 4 1/2, so they will work.

The non-chevy gm magnums usually had deep/wide outer center flanges, making them somewhat easier to spot

The chevy ones however looked just like ford/Mopar wheels but of course were 5 on 4 3/4 or 5 on 5.

Last edited:
I agree with chargervert that those could very well be Ford rims.

You can safely use them on the back of the car, but you might not be able to use them on the fronts as the center hub/grease cap on the fronts may be taller than what the center register of the wheel stands out and doesn't seat all the way down to the hub...

I don't think so.

The ford ones I have take the same center as Mopar wheels.

There was a different center used on some ford wheels.

I agree with chargervert that those could very well be Ford rims.

You can safely use them on the back of the car, but you might not be able to use them on the fronts as the center hub/grease cap on the fronts may be taller than what the center register of the wheel stands out and doesn't seat all the way down to the hub...

No center registers on Magnum 500 wheels.

The grease cap area does stick out past the hole for the cap, but the Mopar style bolt in cap fits over and covers it.

The "other" ford cap spring clips in and does not fit with the Mopar spindle/brake drum.

Regular Ford wheels center hole is smaller than mopar. Put a pair on my 8.75 and ran lugs down with an air gun. Had a hell of a time to remove them.

But again, Magnum 500 wheels, regardless of who they're shopped for.....have no register holes.

Do I need to find the pic I posted years ago of the backsides?

These Magnums were one my 1970 Coronet 500. I've never seen Magnums with the insets painted white. At first, I thought maybe they were trying to match the color of the car but the car is Ivory. They also have full hubcaps as you can see by the scratches along the outside rims. Has anyone ever seen wheels like this? I don't think a previous owner did it. This car is very original and not hot-rodded or customized.

magnum wheels.jpg

Of course ford wheels are also 5 on 4 1/2, so they will work.

The non-chevy gm magnums usually had deep/wide outer center flanges, making them somewhat easier to spot

The chevy ones however looked just like ford/Mopar wheels but of course were 5 on 4 3/4 or 5 on 5.

The 14" versions from Ford will generally not clear the disc brake calipers on the mopars due to the shape of the outer flange, they will fit fine on the rear though.

I have ford 14x7 that have been on the front of my drum brake 66 and disk brake 73.

No issues.

Might just be a "typical" 14" not clearing 11" disk brake issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back