• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these "NEW" VIN tags legal?

I don’t see why you couldn’t do this IF you had the factory vin tag and it was in poor condition.

Who would you be trying to fool with that? It's not even remotely close to a factory VIN.

I don’t see why you couldn’t do this IF you had the factory vin tag and it was in poor condition.
I would believe there's a certain amount of flexibility in the law regarding restorations? I see hot rods all the time with pristine tags that were either removed to be restored (felony) or replaced (also a felony) but what else are you going to do????

Try it and find out. Or better yet get some Chevy or Ford guy to do it.

With 2 Tamper Proof Rivets:rofl: Not sure if this is the same guy but last year a similar ebay ad popped up and I asked DMV here in Michigan and was told it is definitely against the law.

There was a guy on E-bay selling factory rivets for around $25.00 back in the early 2000's.
They looked like the real-deal. If everything looks good, why would you question it?
But I don't think I could buy a car with one of those tags on it.

Partial VIN numbers are also on some body parts. Is it illegal to remove them and replace them also? Also, engines and transmissions have partial VIN numbers..

I don't see a problem. It is obviously not an attempt to fool anyone. You could do one with a label maker. It is just a vin label. Only problem would be if the number was changed from the original and was used to get a new registration. This kind of plate may be required in some states for a salvage type of car.

One reason I posted this is because its only a small step to make a perfect tag. I passed on a Hemi Cuda no dash pad. No engine or trans and interior.

I scrapped a 1970 Road Runner back in the early eighties when there wasn't any value to them. I still have the title. So if someone would bring me a 70 RR. 383 4 speed car that was sublime green, I have the title! Just steal a car, order a new VIN tag, and we are in business! No way could there ever be a problem.........

That's just like the vin tags they use on trailers when new....Automobiles not so much..

V.I.N. numbers on other parts of the unibody. I'll visit you in jail and we can talk about "Old Times"!

The VIN number on the e bay photos dont correspond to anything I am familiar with from the muscle car era..
I think I could just about make one from a sheet of the aluminum material using a Harbor Freight stamping set. No chance of anything illegal at all! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back