• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At wits end

I appreciate the input , but think you're on the wrong track car was running fine then **** the bed something happened and happened quickly, have fuel have spark have air but runs like crap as though it's not running on all cylinders don't think it's fuel don't thinks its air but I do think it's electrical

Ok, try running a jumper wire from the battery positive straight to the positive post on the coil. See how it responds to that. Run a jumper to terminal 1 of the ecu as well. That way you can eliminate any questionable wiring in the car

May have to try the assemble yourself wire sets with a combination of 90 degree, 45 degree, and straight plug boots to meet your needs. Use Kevlar protector socks/shields anywhere even remotely close to the headers/metal in general..

I have spark at all plugs, but seems weak(orange spark), I don't think it's hot enough, what would cause weak spark, I have replaced wires,dist cap,rotor,coil,ignition module,voltage regulator,plugs

Last edited:
Check your grounds. Batt to block, engine to frame and body. Im not 100% but the module might need a good ground to firewall. ???

Give yourself a break. Sometimes getting away from it for awhile will jog your memory...

orange spark= weak ignition
any bare wires in your distributor
dist new or known good used

Problem solved, guess I was overthinking this one, added a ground strap to the ignition module, that was it, I want to thank everyone who chimed in you guys are great!!!

Thanks for the update. If we've all learned anything from your troubles, it's that there are many tests that can be done to diagnose exactly where the problem lies. Throwing parts at a problem rarely solves it.

Wow, an eye opener that points back to what I have always been told. Check and double check your grounds! Seems like so many of the odd electrical gremlins are caused by this so I have learned something again. Thanks to all for their posts and the follow-through to hear of the remedy.

Problem solved, guess I was overthinking this one, added a ground strap to the ignition module, that was it, I want to thank everyone who chimed in you guys are great!!!

My theory has always been think simple first. 95% of the time it is!

I've run into the bad ground on the ignition module on the firewall many times and also the voltage regulator. Good place for paint or rust that prohibits a proper ground. Good find!

Back