• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Charger acts like she wants to turn over, but will only intermittently

1st Charger

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Charger SE. When I purchased it, she no longer had the original 400 engine, but has a 440 out of a '71 something. We have replaced the following in order to get her back on the road after she didn't make it home from the first car show I took it too.
The radiator and hoses, ignition control module, battery and battery cables, starter, radio, steering wheel, ballast clips, power steering reservoir/tank, ignition coil, spark plug wires, cap and rotor among fixing frayed wires and new connection ends
We took the top of the engine apart to check lifters and cam to make sure they were good and replaced the gaskets as we went. We went to try and start her. She acts like she wants to turn over but doesn't. We checked the ignition coil and that was at 2 ohms (it was a little warm). The wires to the ignition module came in at 12 volts and same with the wires to the distributor. The spark plug wires have spark at the spark plugs. We let things cool down and came back in the morning and she started up, ran for 2 minutes before back firing through the carb with a small fire. We shut it off check fluids and the carb. We go to start her again, we have the same issue we started with; she tries to turn over but doesn't fire up issue.
I have been back tracing wires and fixing connections, but I'm getting frustrated as everything that was replaced looks right and tests fine from researching. Could anyone help me figure out my problem? What am i not thinking of or should I be looking for? I have not made it back through the fire wall yet, but stopped at the splice before the bulkhead.

If I knew how to upload my videos with using youtube i would add them, but I don't..... I'm new to owning a older muscle car, but have been around them most of my life. First time running through an electrical issue. LOL

Turning over and starting are two different functions and diagnostics. If it is cranking over with the starter than it is turning over.

I take it it died on the road and hasn't started since; have you checked timing chain? back fire thru carb suggests valve timing issue.

Cranks but won't start?

Auto Transport Service
Back