• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

auto trans temperature too high!!

inthe9s

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
after several years of looking at it, i finally connected my auto meter trans temp gauge. i tee tapped into the proper cooler line and followed all instructions. So i drove the car for a very short time - two minutes-and the gauge went up up up and pegged at 250 degrees, this was not instantly but as i drove it so it is not a grounded sender wire,
and i have a 727 with a very nice stamped steel DEEP trans pan and a big aftermarket trans cooler which i bought 35 years ago. It was the largest one offered in that particular store, about ten by twelve inches or so. I do have a high stall converter and it is a lousy one too. Perhaps the worst one ever made= could this be the cause?

You are now seeing the converter flash temperature.

I’d put the sensor in the pan rather than in one of the cooler lines and AutoMeter may have a bung that you could add to the pan.
i will look into that but i dont remember that being an option, i will research it right now though, thank you.

You are now seeing the converter flash temperature.
i am? and is that now what i should be monitoring? my temp sender is in the rearmost cooler line, also i used 3/8 copper tubing for trans lines instead of 5/16 steel tube,

A slippery converter turns wasted motion into heat. If you're driving around " on the converter" the heat will build and build.

i am? and is that now what i should be monitoring? my temp sender is in the rearmost cooler line, also i used 3/8 copper tubing for trans lines instead of 5/16 steel tube,
You have a very hot transmission. Front line is the converter flash and the rear return is what has been cooled.

You have a very hot transmission. Front line is the converter flash and the rear return is what has been cooled.
i think it may7be due to the ger brand torque converter. everyone says they are junk and i think they are correct

as i looked into the instructions online, it says to weld a bung into the pan and it has no mention of cooler lines at all!! So weird,
Sensor in the front line is what they call the hot line. With it there you are measuring the temperature that it is producing. Rear you are measuring the cooled return temperature going back to the transmission. In the pan is giving you the temperature of the fluid waiting to be used. If your return that has been cooled is in fact 250 plus you are cooking that transmission and it is not going to last very long. With it being pegged you have no idea as to how hot it really is.

transmission-temperature-chart-tci.jpg

I have sensors located both ways. Two different cars. The one in the return line has a 5600 converter and is street driven and raced. always below 200. The racecar has the sensor in the pan. 6200 converter. Only time it was ever over 200 for any length of time is when it broke a converter.
Doug

I have sensors located both ways. Two different cars. The one in the return line has a 5600 converter and is street driven and raced. always below 200. The racecar has the sensor in the pan. 6200 converter. Only time it was ever over 200 for any length of time is when it broke a converter.
Doug
you know something? i once had another brand of trans temp gauge in this car so i wonder if i used an incorrect sending unit? Maybe a mis matched gauge/sender combo? Ill swap senders and let you all know what it did. I cant find information on ohm readings from autometer,

i think it may7be due to the ger brand torque converter. everyone says they are junk and i think they are correct
GER was made not far from me down in Oxford Pa. They had some of the best equipment to make convertors from what I was told by other people but only a few knew how to make them. Literally they were hit or miss. I had 3 of them and 2 were great and other would not even go onto the front pump...Turns out when the stator assembly (I believe that is what it's called) was off center from the hub...When I built another car to go faster I bought better one not much further away from Frank Lupo at Dynamic convertors.

Tight/and or slipping clutches & bands will also generate a lot of heat.

It doesn't seem like you could start a cold engine, and the trans temp be up to 250 in 2 minutes

It doesn't seem like you could start a cold engine, and the trans temp be up to 250 in 2 minutes
He said driving the car the temperature rose. Car might of been at operating temps before he drove it.

Tell us how u have the cooler plumbed in. Kim
ok well its pretty simple, since there is no cooler built into the radiator my trans line goes out to the cooler then the other one goes back to the trans. Is that what you wanted to know? I used 3/8 copper tubing for trans lines and they are routed carefully away from headers and stuff like that, 2 short pieces of 3/8 steel braided hose connect my hard lines to my cooler.

Mick- i was thinking this as well- my transmission has been fine for about 20 years and only a week ago did i hook up the temp gauge and see the high temperature, but if truly it waqs that hot id think id have burnt fluid and a slipping transmission right? Thats why now im going to swap sendimng units and see if that is the problem and i bet it just may be.

Auto Transport Service
Back