• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Torque Converters

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
Since I can't go with a high stall one price-wise, I picked up a remanufactured one from a trans shop. In measuring the taped thread centers I found two are a full eight inches, while the opposite ones are seven and five-eighth inches. Did four forties use such a small odd span of tapped holes, or do I have the wrong converter? As far as flex plates, for that engine, I don't see one that measures that odd.

Since I can't go with a high stall one price-wise, I picked up a remanufactured one from a trans shop. In measuring the taped thread centers I found two are a full eight inches, while the opposite ones are seven and five-eighth inches. Did four forties use such a small odd span of tapped holes, or do I have the wrong converter? As far as flex plates, for that engine, I don't see one that measures that odd.
They are not symmetrical. I measured a 440 flexplate I have here, and it measures 7 5/8" and 7 3/4" center to center of the bolt holes. I have never seen one that measures 8".

Last edited:
I was measuring it wrong, the right way is across the center, as opposed to the threaded hole to another. It measured eleven inches.

Thanks

One bolt hole is off center so that it's installed the same way everytime.
Chebbies and furds are not.

Auto Transport Service
Back