• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Autonomous Vehicles Cause Chaos and Traffic Jams in Austin

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Video in link ..........

Video and pictures shared on social media depict a scene of chaos in Austin’s West Campus as dozens of autonomous vehicles block the streets and disrupt traffic. Residents in the area expressed frustration at the lack of coordination among the driverless cars, which resulted in them facing sideways in the middle of the road while attempting to navigate around each other.

Witnesses reported instances where the narrowness of the street forced two Cruise cars to come to a standstill. To resolve the impasse, one of the vehicles had to manually reverse to allow the other one to pass through. The incident prompted passengers to contact the company to inquire about the situation.

According to a memo from the Transportation and Public Works Department, there are currently 125 autonomous vehicles deployed on Austin roads. Three companies, Cruise, Waymo, and Volkswagen ADMT, are operating these vehicles in the city. Legislation passed by the Texas Legislature in 2017 and 2021 gives the state government authority over the regulation and operation of autonomous vehicles, preempting local municipalities.

Concerns surrounding the use of autonomous vehicles include their difficulty in following traffic directions from law enforcement or construction workers, as well as their potential to obstruct emergency responders. However, there have been no documented injuries to pedestrians, cyclists, or scooter riders due to autonomous vehicles.

In response to this incident, the Transportation and Public Works Department has formed an autonomous vehicle task force comprising various agencies to gather feedback and incident data. Residents living in the West Campus area acknowledge the potential benefits of autonomous vehicles but express concerns about the current lack of practicality and coordination.

While the introduction of autonomous vehicles in Austin is seen as a step toward the future, it is evident that there are still significant challenges to overcome. As the city continues to work closely with autonomous vehicle companies, improvements in network development and data analysis are crucial to ensure safer and more efficient operations.

Just me, I don’t like or have any interest in having a vehicle I don’t need to – DRIVE myself. Stupid commercials showing people clapping their hands instead of paying attention to da road. Vehicles are rolling computers subject to hacking (far as I’ve read) and instances where something odd can happen goofing up the system. 80,000lb semi’s – no driver? EV’s that suddenly stop on a freeway due to some glitch?

I’ll take my chances with dipshit driver’s like it has been..

. . . rolling computers subject to hacking . . .

That was my first thought when I saw the video. No explanation is given as to why all these vehicles showed up in the same place at the same time. College campus? Computer nerds pranking?

A few years ago, the Google cars would run up and down the El Camino from Santa Clara to Palo Alto. They went 30 MPH in the middle of 3 lanes. 35 MPH posted and unenforced. Impeding traffic. A real PIA.

That sounds like something that happens on a regular basis in the Bay Area. DWO. Driving While Oriental.

I watched a program on tv where a woman rented one to take her to a museum in San Fran as a test to see how they worked. It started out by her standing on the sidewalk at her building waiting and when the car showed up it stopped at the other end of the block from where she lived. She entered and they started out doing just fine until they came to a stop light. The car stopped, but when the light turned green it just sat there. After a short time the lady had to call the company to get it going again. When it got to the museum it turned on a road one block sooner than it should have and pulled over saying it had arrived at it's destination which was a short walk from there. Turned out it had stopped on the other side of the block from where the museum was. Sounds like they have lots of bugs to work out for these to be reliable.

Clusterf--k because of BS progressive ideology
& so-called green (nothing about it is green) technology
all released way before it's time...
They will never learn, they just force that crap through
& we all pay for it, those of US that actually work & pay,
actual income taxes & property taxes, own small businesses :blah:

They all work for US, not US for them,
about time they all heard from WE the people paying for that shitshow,
they
call progress
hold them acountable
get rid of the dead weight
get good people running the show

the proverbial grass isn't any greener (it's shades of blue though) elsewhere,
that's been proven daily right now, a lot of times

Last edited:
Instead of getting a committee together to study the issue, fine the car companies $100k per day until the problem is handled.

Video in link ..........

Video and pictures shared on social media depict a scene of chaos in Austin’s West Campus as dozens of autonomous vehicles block the streets and disrupt traffic. Residents in the area expressed frustration at the lack of coordination among the driverless cars, which resulted in them facing sideways in the middle of the road while attempting to navigate around each other.

Witnesses reported instances where the narrowness of the street forced two Cruise cars to come to a standstill. To resolve the impasse, one of the vehicles had to manually reverse to allow the other one to pass through. The incident prompted passengers to contact the company to inquire about the situation.

According to a memo from the Transportation and Public Works Department, there are currently 125 autonomous vehicles deployed on Austin roads. Three companies, Cruise, Waymo, and Volkswagen ADMT, are operating these vehicles in the city. Legislation passed by the Texas Legislature in 2017 and 2021 gives the state government authority over the regulation and operation of autonomous vehicles, preempting local municipalities.

Concerns surrounding the use of autonomous vehicles include their difficulty in following traffic directions from law enforcement or construction workers, as well as their potential to obstruct emergency responders. However, there have been no documented injuries to pedestrians, cyclists, or scooter riders due to autonomous vehicles.

In response to this incident, the Transportation and Public Works Department has formed an autonomous vehicle task force comprising various agencies to gather feedback and incident data. Residents living in the West Campus area acknowledge the potential benefits of autonomous vehicles but express concerns about the current lack of practicality and coordination.

While the introduction of autonomous vehicles in Austin is seen as a step toward the future, it is evident that there are still significant challenges to overcome. As the city continues to work closely with autonomous vehicle companies, improvements in network development and data analysis are crucial to ensure safer and more efficient operations.
Hmmm.
Documented. Why not leave that word out I wonder. No injuries? No documented injuries. Hmmm.
"Pedestrians, cyclists, or scooter riders......" Oddly specific...... scooter riders. Documented ..... How about motorcycles or other cars? How about passengers?

At least they also ignore law enforcement and construction workers. I wonder if officers or construction workers count as pedestrians?

That sounds like something that happens on a regular basis in the Bay Area. DWO. Driving While Oriental.
1 angry.jpg

Ray Sis.GIF

You ever watch the movie "Crash"? There is a scene in there where Jennifer Esposito tells some oriental lady, after lady ran into the back of her, "you see over steewing wheel, you see blakelights too"!

What I've noticed is that on the freeway when one of those has a blinker on if you get up to the rear bumper in the adjoining lane they don't slow down and they don't get to make the turn either.

Okay, y'all didn't hear this from me.....

How do you blind an Asian/Oriental?

Put a windshield in front of them....

It was on the local news here a few days ago about that crap in Austin.....laughed my bottom off! Couldn't have happened in a better place but Houston also has been trying it out and not working too good here either. Love it when someone gets out of their vehicle and beats on the computer driven vehicle lol

It was on the local news here a few days ago about that crap in Austin.....laughed my bottom off! Couldn't have happened in a better place but Houston also has been trying it out and not working too good here either. Love it when someone gets out of their vehicle and beats on the computer driven vehicle lol
Manual reboot :)

I saw on the news here that Cali just shut Cruise cars down because one ran over a pedestrian. Now they're coming to ATL. Traffic is already bad. One of these in morning traffic will shut down the city.

Auto Transport Service
Back