• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hundreds of CT state troopers may have falsified thousands of traffic tickets

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score

(WFSB) - Hundreds of Connecticut State Police troopers may have falsified thousands of traffic tickets.

A recent audit found nearly 26,000 fake tickets.

An internal investigation found troopers did this for their own personal benefit. Troopers who appear productive are often eligible for federally funded overtime.

Lawmakers are demanding answers, and Governor Ned Lamont said those who intentionally did this should be let go, including management.

The audit found troopers falsified nearly 26,000 traffic tickets and more than 32,000 were inaccurate.

Ken Barone with the Public Policy Institute at UConn pushed for the audit after an internal investigation found four troopers had falsified tickets.
“There’s no evidence these are real people,” said Barone.

Barone said this has raised concerns about skewing racial profiling data.

“The unmatched records were more likely to be white drivers, identified as white individuals, and the records that should have been likely reported to the system and were not, were more likely to be Hispanic motorists or motorists of some other race,” Barone said.

It’s possible hundreds of state troopers falsified thousands of tickets.

“If people were not investigating this thoroughly, if they knew there were purposeful mistakes, not mistakes but purposely representing what was going on, those people should go and I think their management should take a look at themselves as well,” said Lamont.

Lawmakers are holding a hearing next Thursday, July 27.

“Losing the lack of trust of the public in a situation like this has dire consequences for our sense of public safety,” said state Rep. Jason Rojas (D – Majority Leader).

“It is yet another example of how easy it is to find this kind of fraud or false statements and misconduct because of technology,” said Mike Lawlor, criminal justice expert.
Some of these troopers may face criminal charges. Forgery is a felony.

Time is running out. There is a statute of limitations, in this case five years.

Some want to know why it’s taking so long for prosecutors to decide whether to bring charges.

If those allegations are true, just goes to show you a bit of true humanity , people will take advantage of what ever is advantageous to them...

My friend got a ticket for going 80 mph while he was really going 60 mph towing an empty car trailer in the pouring rain in the low speed lane in Stanford Connecticut. He told the trooper he must have clocked the wrong vehicle because he wasn't speeding, he was driving slow in the low speed lane. The cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him to take it to court. When he went to court he said that the court administrator told him he had to pay the fine,he said don't you want to hear my side of it,she replied, you can tell your side of it,if it makes you feel better about it,but it isn't going to change the outcome one bit,just pay the fine! After reading this thread it makes perfect sense why this happened to him.

Didn’t somebody wonder why so many people were skipping out on showing up in traffic court and not paying their tickets?

My friend got a ticket for going 80 mph while he was really going 60 mph towing an empty car trailer in the pouring rain in the low speed lane in Stanford Connecticut. He told the trooper he must have clocked the wrong vehicle because he wasn't speeding, he was driving slow in the low speed lane. The cop didn't want to hear any of it and told him to take it to court. When he went to court he said that the court administrator told him he had to pay the fine,he said don't you want to hear my side of it,she replied, you can tell your side of it,if it makes you feel better about it,but it isn't going to change the outcome one bit,just pay the fine! After reading this thread it makes perfect sense why this happened to him.
And now I know why my kids have dashcams in their cars. And yes, the ones with GPS monitor speed and location.

Didn’t somebody wonder why so many people were skipping out on showing up in traffic court and not paying their tickets?
That was my immediate thought too! Should have been easy to track! Every ticket is entered and within 30 days, usually the need to be adjudicated to either paid, or going to court..

Apparently their system didn’t track well enough or the court, infractions officer was in on the whole thing!

If they did it, then they should be gone!

There should never be any personal benefits for writing tickets other than enforcing the laws and compliance!

At the end of the day, you only have your word and reputation. Shameful

If it works the way they have it setup a ticket given in New England/NY if out state driver doesn't pay his DMV collects it. Back in 70/71 NYC wrote phony parking tickets to CT. drivers. I got a notice I had to pay $$ parking ticket never was in NYC. Ignored it, a week later a big hub bub and all tickets were canceled.

Last edited:
If the works the way they have it setup a ticket given in New England/NY if out state driver doesn't pay his DMV collects it. Back in 70/71 NYC wrote phony parking tickets to CT. drivers. I got a notice I had to pay $$ parking ticket never was in NYC. Ignored it, a week later a big hub bub and all tickets were canceled.
I got a bogus parking ticket for the truck from the city of Philadelphia a few years back. I had scale tickets with stamped times for my delivery that morning, 100 miles away. Also a Hazardous waste manifest documenting the location. Got it thrown out. If it had been my personal vehicle, or I'd been off duty, I probably would have ended up paying. Easy revenue scam.

Not that it makes it right, but I got the impression the falsely written tickets weren't issued to innocent drivers, but just written against "phantom motorists" to pad their numbers they show for number of tickets written? Or maybe also to pad the numbers of tickets shown written against white drivers to fend off charges of "racial profiling"?
In general, creating incentives to write more tickets or fill quotas is asking for abuse. For example, I've heard of cases where officers who got awards for having high numbers of DUI arrests, were later found out that they had arrested a number of innocent motorists on false DUI charges to rack up their numbers.

I'm sure there were many people like my friend who was written up for speeding when they were not speeding, and when they still couldn't meet the quota the started making up fake tickets.

I have a reminder to take the Radar out of the window when entering Virginia.

I have to admit that every time that I have been cited, I was in violation of something.
I still contested most of them.

“It is yet another example of how easy it is to find this kind of fraud or false statements and misconduct because of technology,” said Mike Lawlor, criminal justice expert.
Some of these troopers may face criminal charges. Forgery is a felony.

Time is running out. There is a statute of limitations, in this case five years.

Some want to know why it’s taking so long for prosecutors to decide whether to bring charges.

[/URL][/URL]
That’s crazy. How easy to find, but takes close to five years? Sure.

what about all the fake people ticketed ?
didn't the courts get suspicious ? of no record of the
vehicle license plates/persons actual DL or signatures
or falsified cars registrations etc. ?

thousands of them would be a huge red flag,
it is a vastly all liberal state after all
that's total BS right there, abuse of authority/position some
truly Brownshirts-fascist neo N--- crap

normally I, 100% support LEOs
but that was a liberals scam, for pay, extortion even if not a victim
they did it to advance in their jobs, it's a fraud, an abuse of power
they all need to be 1st; fired, indicted, tried & IF found guilty
have the proverbial books thrown at them,
get the steepest sentencing as legally possible,
with no chances of community service, no plea deals etc.
They need to pay & pay dearly...

That's the 1% that makes the whole look bad
You will only hear about the bad stuff & never all the good stuff, 99% of LEOs do...
It makes the MSM narratives, their happy headlines, they really do hate America...

Last edited:
Any police officer that conducts him/her self in the manner indicated in this thread must be fired and indicted. Upon conviction, penalized to the full extent, then stripped of any pension benefits, and any such funds allocated for disbursement to prior parties cited by that officer, and their driving record corrected. There is ZERO reason for this conduct by an officer of the law. You are sworn to uphold the law.

Last edited:
State gov DEMANDS $$$$$$ any means possible, so there ya go!!! Does this mean my "SPEEDING TICKET" from 1985 is to be refunded WITH INTEREST!!! Cop in 5.0 Mustang nailed me (center lane) instead of brown Fairmont (left lane) as we passed him set-up in center median. Going after young military guys with out-of-state plates!! Made his quota!!!

I'm sure there were many people like my friend who was written up for speeding when they were not speeding, and when they still couldn't meet the quota the started making up fake tickets.
We had a Dep Chief that wanted numbers. We fought it and said that was a quota. He said it was a “standard“. He was a douche. We actually won that one. For the most part money cites only help the insurance companies and hurts the working guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back