• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Average house price in your state?

Must be your town, not statewide.

$553,692. The average Colorado home value is $553,692, up 2.0% over the past year and goes to pending in around 11 days.

Google says $335,229.00 is the average home price in Minnesota…

looks like an electoral map............ why does it cost so much to live in a **** hole city? I live in the "poor" part of Jersey; it's the only part I can stomach

1716463682306.png

We've been over this.

"Value" and "price" are not the same thing.

Also

"Average" and "median" are not the same thing.

Median home price in Arkansas is said to be $256,000. Hillbilly’s live cheap.

Iowa as of Sept. 2023 state wide average. $ 229,000.00
Up 6% from 2022.

Median home price in Arkansas is said to be $256,000. Hillbilly’s live cheap.
Right next to me. You can buy my whole street for that. Even the thieves leave us alone, they feel sorry for us. The cost is stupid, I wouldn't buy now unless I was just getting started and had no choice. I'd buy and refinance as soon as things come back to earth. When I bought my first house interest rates where 10 percent.

I've been told prices will go up and stay up, that's hard to believe. If that's true, the bubble will really make a mess when it pops. I really don't know what to believe anymore.

looks like an electoral map............ why does it cost so much to live in a **** hole city? I live in the "poor" part of Jersey; it's the only part I can stomach

View attachment 1667334
I figured this process out my first year out of college. Got a "good" job as a writer for a medical newspaper group in the D.C. metro area. Got lucky, and landed a rent controlled apartment when a co-worker got promoted. Rent consumed nearly half my take home pay. Quit a year later, moved back to "Pennsyltucky" and started driving a truck. Doubled my pay, and cut my rent in half. Two decades later, I got promoted to my employer's corporate office in Chicago. Bought the cheapest place my wife could stand. Saved my money until things went south, moved back to my home town, and got twice the bang for my buck with the spoils of my labor.

Right next to me. You can buy my whole street for that. Even the thieves leave us alone, they feel sorry for us. The cost is stupid, I wouldn't buy now unless I was just getting started and had no choice. I'd buy and refinance as soon as things come back to earth. When I bought my first house interest rates where 10 percent.

I've been told prices will go up and stay up, that's hard to believe. If that's true, the bubble will really make a mess when it pops. I really don't know what to believe anymore.
I rented for a decade after getting burned in the real estate bust when interest rates went nuts in 1980, after buying high, and selling low. I've lived through two major real estate busts already, and folks never seem to expect them.

Last edited:
According to estimates from Zillow, a Seattle-based real estate data company, the value of a typical single-family home in Arizona is $376,369, higher than the national average.

I rented for a decade after getting burned in the real estate bust when interest rates went nuts in 1980, after buying high, and selling low. I learned my lesson, bought the current house in 2000 at 8%, price was cheap at that rate, re-financed twice, now at 3.5% with 95% equity, $400,000 appreciation.
This is the first house in a long time that I owe on. 20 percent down and a 2.65 percent loan. My wife had a fit about making a payment now, she never has, my broker makes our payments for us. Out of site, out of mind. LOL

This is the first house in a long time that I owe on. 20 percent down and a 2.65 percent loan. My wife had a fit about making a payment now, she never has, my broker makes our payments for us. Out of site, out of mind. LOL
Nothing wrong with owning a house paid for with "free" money. After I locked in the 3.5% rate, I had a lot of folks asking why I didn't just pay it off. They couldn't process the fact that I was making way more than that by utilizing the capital at a higher rate of return elsewhere.

Statewide average is kind of meaningless in NY.
Prices range more widely in NY than probably anywhere.
Lakefront property on Canandaigua or Keuka lake is outrageous. (Starts at 1 million for a little shack)
Rural towns not far away are pretty inexpensive.
It's all location, location, location...

Statewide average is kind of meaningless in NY.
Prices range more widely in NY than probably anywhere.
Lakefront property on Canandaigua or Keuka lake is outrageous. (Starts at 1 million for a little shack)
Rural towns not far away are pretty inexpensive.
It's all location, location, location...
Much like PA. Philadelphia and Bucks County really skews it for the rest of the state. Twenty miles from where I live, pricing starts to resemble West Virginia. The presence of Penn State sets pricing in my immediate vicinity. Higher end housing is typically owned by couples, where one member of the household holds a job based outside the area, the other works for Penn State. Used to be commuter marriages, now many home based offices.

Last edited:
It's high in this State because the most populous urban areas are squeezed between mountains and water bodies and there has been a population influx for decades. What's also important to consider though is the ratio between house values and wages. Even within this State there is quite a range depending on where you choose to settle down.

We have been in the same home since 92.
4 bd, 2 bath , 2 story, 2 car.
For several years now it's just the two of us.
We have a rental 2 blocks away , 2 bd, 1 bath, my 30x50 building is on that place.
I would love to remod the rental, add a bath and a attached 2 car then rent our larger place.
With only two votes at play and the arbitration team ( kids) won't weigh in. I seem to be pretty well screwed, lol.

my view from my front porch....... it's not horrible for the poor part of the most densely populated state......... 30 miles from the ocean, and up against protected state forest

the bus doesn't come up my road........ helps keep the riff raff out

I'm good with it

1716474052605.jpeg

Prices have gone way up. Sold my last place for $1.6m, downsized to a $800K place. Don't have a shop anymore though so that kind of sucks. The last place was on 3 acres and had a 3000 sq ft shop with heated floors and an overhead crane. Now I'm in a subdivision.

Auto Transport Service
Back