• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle bearings for 8.75 rear

Both types of bearings rely on the housing bore for support so it comes down to how bad is the bore.

Test fit the new bearing in the housing bore by hand bore before you press it on the axle and if you have any high spots or burrs just remove them with a Dremel or a file.

What is the adjustment on the factory Timkens again? If you set it on the tight end of the tolerance, I don't think there will be any problems when using disc brakes and with a floating caliper, there shouldn't be any problem at all. Now, are there floating calipers available for a rear disc upgrade? I don't know since I've never used a rear disc setup and really don't see a need for it unless you plan on hitting the road course with a vengeance or live in the mountains...

What is the adjustment on the factory Timkens again? If you set it on the tight end of the tolerance, I don't think there will be any problems when using disc brakes and with a floating caliper, there shouldn't be any problem at all. Now, are there floating calipers available for a rear disc upgrade? I don't know since I've never used a rear disc setup and really don't see a need for it unless you plan on hitting the road course with a vengeance or live in the mountains...

.008" - .018" if I remember correctly, and like you said I doubt it will be an issue. I have a set of Imperial brakes that I'm going to put on my 69 RR only because I can and not because I think I need them.

Hey Meep,

I'll be bring my axles for you to press in my Set 7s for my 8 3/4 going into the GTX.

Mongo Motors at your service! If I ever get those tires from Ben I'll have you mount and balance them for my 200 MPH road test in the GTS convertible - with the top down!! Haha!

Auto Transport Service
Back