• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[B][/B] 1964 Plymouth Rear End Q&A

Furyous64

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to put a 58" drum to drum width rear end into a 1964 plymouth fury? leaf relocation? mini tub? spring relacation? I have read the posts on here about using 1965+ B body rears with no modifacation, BUT in this case I found a 100% complete rear/axel/31 spline/brakes/big yoke/long studs for what i think is a good price ($900) So now the wheels are turning to maybe make this work? Let me know what you buffs think.....Thanks

I used the rear from a '70 Charger in my '63. It was slightly wider but worked out perfectly for the wheel offset that I'm running.

It's a bolt in swap as the perches are the same width apart, you just can't use the later (longer) leaf springs.

$900 isn't bad if it includes the third member and a decent set of gears.

I've got around $1500 in mine all told but it has brand new everything.

I should have bit the bullet and went Dana but I was too far down the 8 3/4 road to turn back...

How difficult would it be to put a 58" drum to drum width rear end into a 1964 plymouth fury? leaf relocation? mini tub? spring relacation? I have read the posts on here about using 1965+ B body rears with no modifacation, BUT in this case I found a 100% complete rear/axel/31 spline/brakes/big yoke/long studs for what i think is a good price ($900) So now the wheels are turning to maybe make this work? Let me know what you buffs think.....Thanks

What rear end do you have? The only 58 inch 8 3/4 was in a 62-63 and 64 max wedge at 58 1/2 inch. Those had the tapered axles as your 64 has. As long as your spring perch is 44 inches it would fit. The 65-67 is 59 1/2 and 68-70 is 60 1/8.

I was in same predicament. Weighed my options about swapping.
Went with a Moser fab rearend housing with new axles. Used 65 housing measurements which gave me about 1 1/2 extra
clearance on each side. Plenty of room now.

DSC_0060.jpg

What rear end do you have? The only 58 inch 8 3/4 was in a 62-63 and 64 max wedge at 58 1/2 inch. Those had the tapered axles as your 64 has. As long as your spring perch is 44 inches it would fit. The 65-67 is 59 1/2 and 68-70 is 60 1/8.
I've measure a lot of 66-67's and they generally run around 5/8ths to 3/4" shorter than the 68-70 rears. I don't go by the book on this stuff but actual measurements.

I've measure a lot of 66-67's and they generally run around 5/8ths to 3/4" shorter than the 68-70 rears. I don't go by the book on this stuff but actual measurements.

Yeah could be off a little, but if you are measuring 5/8 to 3/4 less than 68-70 rear it is what I said 59 1/2 for 65-67.

Want to do it cheap? Use you exiting housing with new axles. The problem with the tapered axle housing is the tube ends aren't deep enough to run inner axle seals. The axle bearing occupies the same space as the seal. Solution is to run green style bearings which are sealed with no inner axle seals. I even ran 66 and up axle shafts that were carefully shortened in a chop saw.
Doug

I can't believe how much $$$ complete rear ends cost!! All the big names (strange, moser etc.) for new everything with brakes and shipped is knocking on $2300! More then my car is worth. The appeal of this complete rear for $900 has perked my interest even more after price shopping. Its a 31 spline, spool 4.30 gear. Pay cheaper upfront but 3x more in long run? 1-2 drag races a year and lets be honest <400 miles, lol. awww choices :)

Auto Transport Service
Back