• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

b-body project....in scale

steved033

Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
Here's a drag racing slot car i'm building. I found this old school place near my house that has a large road course track and a drag strip. I'm setting up for bracket racing, hardbody class, it's WAY more fun than you'd think it would be. Cars cover the 1/24th scale 1/4 (56 feet)...in about 1.05 seconds... top fuel class covers that distance in .6 seconds... it's amazing how much you can process in 1.03 seconds, wheelspin, grip, tire shake/wheel hop, everything a drag car goes through...

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 637
That looks great! I still have my old Chapperal slot car but haven't seen a track in 20 years. Great hobby.

my dad came for a visit last week, and brought his two cars from the 60's....we went and played for a couple hours...we had so much fun...

sjd

I've got a Daytona Charger slot car like this one below., never raced it, but we have a hobby shop with some big tracks nearby. May go try it out someday soon. My dad and I raced slots in the 60's also, some of the most fun he and I ever had together. We built rail dragsters that would wheelie.. Gonna try to get him and my nephew to go with me when I go.

Attachments

• 27332-2.jpg
    27332-2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 608
I used to be into this big time a few years back at a place called Lucky Bob's near Milwaukee. I got pretty good at it. I moved and now I live out in the middle of nowhere and Milwaukee is 3 hours away. I'd like to build a 1/24 scale drag strip in my basement. I'll post some pictures of my cars. If you like drag racing this can be very addictive. Most of the guys that did this, drag raced real cars in the summer and we did this through the winter.

It seems pretty addicting. went in today, and they helped me understand a few things...it's running, need to add the wheelie bar and body mounts and maybe make a few passes tomorrow.

sjd

Painted, wheelie bars, just need to do interior and decal work. At least one GTX at my house is running....

IMG_0917.jpg

Cool stuff..
I'm a grown adilt and i still love that stuff too!
Better than playing video-games all day & night long...
(not that there is anything wrong with that...)

Cool car Steve!

I like the blue and the lug nuts on the front wheels. I dug out my old cars and took some pics. There were 4 classes to race in bracket, lexan, hard body, and unlimited. You could run anything in bracket class but the car must be faster than 1.399 or you DQ. Brackets used a sportsman tree. Lexan body and hard body were both super 16D motors with 1/8” axles and minimum weight specs and pro tree. Unlimited was also heads up with a pro tree and you could run anything. The unlimited guys were running group 20 motors at less than a second ETs at 72MPH or more.

Do you use glue or do you run magnets for traction? What kind of motor are you running? What are the rules where you run or is it just bracket racing? Most places just run brackets to avoid the complication of “tech inspection” and rule enforcement.
Thanks for posting this if we were anywhere near each other I’d be racing with you.

The Duster was my bracket car and ran a pretty consistent 1.208. I was never able to get my ’67 GTX to run as good as it should have. The ’69 rr was my heads up hard body and ran between low 11s (1.110 sec) and high 10s (1.098). IIRCC the car weighs the allowed per rule of the minimum 125 grams.
002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg007.jpg

very cool. I have the car set up for bracket racing, but the place by me has something like 10 classes...everything from "stock" to full on AA top fuel (track record is something like .593 at 127mph)....crazy...

i'm going to get into it slowly, and goof around when time allows. they use glue here, and run on a routed corian surface. it's glass smooth.

love your cars! I'll have to post pics of my dad's stuff from the 60's...that's how this all started...he came down for a visit, after I told him about this place, and he found and tuned up his old cars... they're slooooow but so much fun.

sjd

very cool. I have the car set up for bracket racing, but the place by me has something like 10 classes...everything from "stock" to full on AA top fuel (track record is something like .593 at 127mph)....crazy...

i'm going to get into it slowly, and goof around when time allows. they use glue here, and run on a routed corian surface. it's glass smooth.

love your cars! I'll have to post pics of my dad's stuff from the 60's...that's how this all started...he came down for a visit, after I told him about this place, and he found and tuned up his old cars... they're slooooow but so much fun.

sjd

Sounds like a cool place to race. Yes, post pictures of your dad's stuff, I'd like to see it. The vintage stuff is a lot of fun. That's how I got into it years ago. I was looking for parts for a couple of HO scale slot cars I had and ended up buying a Parma RTR Coronet drag car in 1/24 scale. That's all it took. Now I have a basement filled with 1/24-1/25 scale mopar models for drag cars.

The video is not working for me. That track looks very smooth and flat with wide lane spacing. It sure looks better than the tracks I’ve raced on. I bet it’s a lot newer too.

love racing slot cars too. i'm into the 1/32 scale, but starting to lean towards 1/24. really dig the video of your launch Steve! looks totally realistic. 1778ppr: that collection is sweeeeet!

The video is not working for me. That track looks very smooth and flat with wide lane spacing. It sure looks better than the tracks I’ve raced on. I bet it’s a lot newer too.

it's fairly new, and it's made from corian, so it's unbelieveably smooth. they allow lane prep and gluing, so figuring out that weird balance is its own art, I think.

sjd

You guys have some pretty cool little cars as well as the big ones ive seen here!! I do some 1/25 scale model cars but have no slot cars... I bet there a lot of fun, when i was a kid i used to do the planes and had a ball with them, id still like to get a remote control one and these cars you guys have look like just as much fun.. Enjoy!!!

Made Dad built a two lane 1/24 oval slot track in our basement in the mid 60's, my first car was a Cox Chaparral, my Dad trashed most of the stuff when I was in the Army. All I have left is this GarVic car, I took the pickup arm off so it would sit on it's wheels.GarVic Slot car.jpg

Hey can we get a video, really cool!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back