• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body Super Stock Springs

I just ordered springs for my 64 fury wagon. I had them in 10 days. Husky spring co St Cloud mn. 320 258 7777

If you're cranking up a torsion bar to even it out, depending on how far you crank it, you're increasing the load on two corners and decreasing it on the other two. This means the two light corners lock up earlier than the other two. Fact. Possibly not in your experience, certainly in mine, certainly in the physics of it. Obviously discs help a lot but not everyone has those. Also, it depends on your handling expectations but fundamentally a positive arch leaf in a corner steers the rear axle outboard (opposite of what any car built for handling does). This provides oversteer. For most people's expectations of handling in these cars it's likely fine, sort of a poor choice if you're one of the people loading up their front end with big sway bars and custom control arms. As for ride, I said nothing about that, can't see why it would be much different. You seem defensive about this, just pointing out the facts and the physics / geometry of the suspension, no need to be a jerk.
Sorry you took me as being a jerk, I promise I wasn't. Not defensive just stating my case, if I listened to everyone's negative comments on parts I would have a shell of a car. Anytime S/S springs pop up in conversation I feel the need to state my experience and they have been nothing but positive. I've heard everything from it rides like a wagon to it lookes like a stink bug!
Both my cars have S/S springs and both sit dead level n the rear and neither have had or needed a torsion bar adjustment to even things out. Also I have had absolutely no negative ride affects due to street driving with them, and I do drive a lot, all year!

Sorry you took me as being a jerk, I promise I wasn't. Not defensive just stating my case, if I listened to everyone's negative comments on parts I would have a shell of a car. Anytime S/S springs pop up in conversation I feel the need to state my experience and they have been nothing but positive. I've heard everything from it rides like a wagon to it lookes like a stink bug!
Both my cars have S/S springs and both sit dead level n the rear and neither have had or needed a torsion bar adjustment to even things out. Also I have had absolutely no negative ride affects due to street driving with them, and I do drive a lot, all year!
All good. I get your point too. People tend to report negative experiences more than positive. If you listen to only that you won't buy anything.

Like 65-440 all my using of SS springs have been great. My brakes have never locked up when I was not standing hard on them and I run the factory Power drum brakes on all four corners. I also race my car and have no problem stopping from 125 mph 1/4 mile blast. Sure disc would stop even better but mine stops fine in the distance they have at the track. All I can say is yes I adjusted my torsion bars so the cars sits right and I have not have any driving or cornering problems at all. And I will say I drive my car nice and normal on the street and dont street race because we have race tracks for that and I dont want to race on a public road a risk hurting me or anyone else. But I love how well my car drives and works at the track as I just have the longer ext MP shocks in the rear. About the only thing I notice on my car is on hard launches it lifts the left front a little higher then the right front. But she drives like a dream for a car almost 60 years old. The other one thing to remember about SS springs is about who makes them today as I dont think the quality is as good today as it was some years back. Ron

I've been using the SS springs for the last 13 yrs with the old Rancho 9000 9 way shocks (RS99116). Calvert racing took over Rancho shocks some years ago.
https://calvertracing.com/product-categories/cr-shocks

Woah, I used to have a set of those 9 way adjustable Ranchos on my Buick! They sure did make it handle well when the stiffness was cranked up. Mine didn't live long for some reason, but it was fun while it lasted. My Charger may get a set if rear Bilsteins aren't available.

If you get new springs check out ESPO springs. Great people,I was disappointed in the SS springs
I bought from Summit Racing. Espo can give you plus1 or plus 2 if you want height in back. I would buy from them again.
ESPO doesn't do Superstock springs, nor do they cater to racing, I have heard the A body 20" leaf springs are the same a S S springs, ANy input? Bill

ESPO doesn't do Superstock springs, nor do they cater to racing, I have heard the A body 20" leaf springs are the same a S S springs, ANy input? Bill
I see you've posted a couple times about springs. And your picture makes one speculate that you're looking for leafs for racing.
Don't use stock replacements
Don't use superstocks
Don't use snubbers

Get a pair of Cal Trac split monoleafs. You don't necessarily need the cal trac bars. Depends on times and power levels.
Based on many years of racing and trial and error.

Auto Transport Service
Back