• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back after decades.. picking up a '62 Belvedere..

icetech

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Hello, just joined today.. I haven't built a car in 20 years (almost exactly) and have been looking for a decent deal and recently found a 62 belvedere 2dr, 318 poly (got soft spot for them) in great shape, has been sitting for a long time, motor is locked but not a big deal. Am pretty excited to have a project again.. I owned a lot of mopars when i was younger but nothing before '64.. the only thing i am not sure about is the B&T drive shaft... I did some reading today and some guys say they hold up fine others say replace it with a slip yoke asap, figure i will just ask.. if i take it apart and the bearings/balls look fine, run it? i do know it needs a new boot though..

Car is showing up tomorrow, will start going through it this weekend, it has sat for decades so it's going to be a lot of work but i'm looking forward to it :) Read about the newer mustang brake upgrade.. thinking bout that. Plan to keep it a 318/granny cruiser since it's in great shape, getting really hard to find anything that hasn't been cut up now that isn't insanely priced..

Wish i still knew car guys, used to be easy to get parts.. this is gonna get expensive quick )
(front edge of fenders are shot, 2 arizona rust free ones coming with it) along with original rims/hubcaps
signal-2022-06-02-134920_001.jpeg

signal-2022-06-02-134928_001.jpeg

281915515_764920381306076_4275530760764706337_n.jpg

Welcome Icetech! Gotta love the '62s:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with the ball and trunion joint. They used them behind Hemi four speeds from the factory. They're a little harder to service and is probably the reason for discontinuing them. I serviced the original one in my '62 Dodge by disassembling it, cleaning, new grease, new boot. It had no wear to the parts whatsoever.

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/post-910763228

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/post-910768253

Check out the rest of my thread for information on the '62s.

Ahhh thank you! That looks easy enough :) I'm pretty far away from worrying bout a driveshaft, trying to get my ducks in a row, hoping i can save that motor.. will know this weekend i hope:)

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That is a nice looking project you have there. It just shows That there are still old cars out there to be loved again. And, there are a lot of '62 lovers on this site.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That is a nice looking project you have there. It just shows That there are still old cars out there to be loved again. And, there are a lot of '62 lovers on this si
I'm going through Kids 62 thread and starting to regret my decisions :) Mine wont be that intense.. will do 1 job at a time:)

Welcome to FBBO from Illinois!! As Dave6T4 said, there are lots of '62 lovers here and I'm definitely one of them. You will find all the help you need with parts sourcing and technical info right here.

Welcome to FBBO from Illinois!! As Dave6T4 said, there are lots of '62 lovers here and I'm definitely one of them. You will find all the help you need with parts sourcing and technical info right here.
Yeah, i have been reading for a couple of hours now... sooo much info.. One thing i am noticing is how common brand new parts are junk now :( but that's life...

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome back, that project looks almost completed, compared to some of mine. Enjoy the new love.:thumbsup:

Welcome back, that project looks almost completed, compared to some of mine. Enjoy the new love.:thumbsup:
I'm actually panicking a bit... i shouldn't be, it's nothing i haven't done before.. just been a long time :) And right now i'm looking at replacing tools i gave away over the years cause "I will never build something again, just take it" Like.. engine hoist, welders.. plasma cutter.. ya know.. the stuff i should have kept :)

And the car looks good in pics, i haven't actually seen it yet but i couldn't pass it up for $9500 (in michigan it's near impossible to find something that isn't pure rust for under 15k) Plus it's not molested which is massive to me. I hate looking at cars and seeing the interior gutted with digital gauges and such.. to find something all original is a bonus, even coming with original rims/hubcaps/spare and jack... Of course the downside is, i don't think i can bring myself to put in a bigblock or mod it much.. but who knows :) things change when you get bored.
599.jpg
621.jpg
6117.jpg
631.jpg

Last edited:
I think your car would be a great candidate for a nice 360 build. It's pretty easy to get 300 - 325 hp. out of one. It would bolt right to your existing transmission. If I remember right, the driver's side motor mount lugs on the block are a little different than 318, but you can use 340 and 360 brackets there. It has been a while since I messed with small block stuff ( 360 in a 1987 Dakota ). Just my $0.02, of course.

I think your car would be a great candidate for a nice 360 build. It's pretty easy to get 300 - 325 hp. out of one. It would bolt right to your existing transmission. If I remember right, the driver's side motor mount lugs on the block are a little different than 318, but you can use 340 and 360 brackets there. It has been a while since I messed with small block stuff ( 360 in a 1987 Dakota ). Just my $0.02, of course.
Yeah, after owning a lot of old mopars i don't think i have ever had a small block car other than a poly, a lot of slant 6's and BB's.. I'm gonna try to get this poly going first though cause i like polys :) Plus i don't need a ton of power, just want smooth and quiet.

Soo.. once again.. always look at a car before you buy.. it's not horrible but not near as good as the pictures showed.... Pics were taken at some flattering angles.. but the floor and glass/trim is all really solid.. i overpayed a bit but i dunno...
Soo anyone sell patch panels? only REALLY bad spot is in front of the tires to the back edge of the rockers needs to be replaced. (rockers feel 100% solid luckily)
I can't express how much i hate body work... sooo much..

Gonna make a thread in the 62-65 forum later so i don't keep adding on here.
P.S. actually came with the original 1962 title, signed but no buyer ever put on it. original sales receipt and all that... Hope the DMV doesn't mind a 60 year old title transfer :)

IMG_20220603_122435.jpg

Welcome back to FBBO, from NorCal Sierras

Auto Transport Service
Back