• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back up lights have no power to the socket

Charger Fan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
Have a 1973 Doge Charger and neither back up light socket has power coming to it. The car will crank over in nuetral and park so don't think its the nuetral safety switch. All other rear lights work. Ant suggestions?

Neutral function has nothing to do with the back up lamps function. It can be separatelly damaged into the same switch assembly.

However, check the outer wires ( both black one of them traced ) at plug tranny down the car. One of them must be hot with key in ACC or RUN, tipically the solid black wire being an untouched wiring. Disconect from NSS and check for that. You can jump out out outer wires and check if back up lamps come on.

Last edited:
need to say.... they are on a fused circuit before leave the cab going to the NSS... have you checked the fuses ? can't recall which one it is specifically at this moment

Last edited:
need to say.... they are on a fused circuit before leave the cab going to the NSS... have you checked the fuses ? can't recall which one it is specifically at this moment
I did look at the fuse box under the dash and nothing appeared to be burned. It was late though and will look again today. Do you know which fuse would be the correct one?

I did look at the fuse box under the dash and nothing appeared to be burned. It was late though and will look again today. Do you know which fuse would be the correct one?
You need to at the very least get a owners manual and better yet get a factory service manual and read.

You need to at the very least get a owners manual and better yet get a factory service manual and read.
Or at the very least check all the fuses if you can no longer read what each is labeled. There ain’t many in there. FSM is always our friend.:thumbsup:

Or at the very least check all the fuses if you can no longer read what each is labeled. There ain’t many in there. FSM is always our friend.:thumbsup:
Right......And not by just looking at them and saying they are OK. Get a test light or voltmeter and check things the right way.

Just checked the diagram... the same of the Radio... #8. coming out as a white wire from back of fuse box up to bulkhead. Becomes solid black on NSS harness.

I did know the black wires coming out from bulkhead were white ( and white traced running to side body harness on the return line, where becomes violet ) into the cab just didn't remember which fuse was

The neutral safety switch has (3) terminals.. To check for operation of reverse lights, pull off the connector and jump the (2) outer terminals if the key is ON the reverse lights should work. If the the reverse lights don't work trace back the (2) outer wires that went to the NSS switch. (1) should have 12V, if NO then U have a bad connection back up the wire..

Just my $0.02...

Like everybody else on the web, you don't give us enough info about the problem to correctly diagnose the problem!
How long have you had the car?
Has this been an ongoing issue, or did it just start?
Have you checked your wiring for breaks, etc.?
I bet this next one is the problem!
Have you jiggled the gear lever to try and get them to come on? Things do get out of whack from wear, age, etc.
Good Luck

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was finally able to spend some time troubleshooting. Down at the connector, putting a jumper wire between the outer terminal sockets with the car in reverse and ignition on did not resolve the problem. Still no back up lights. Checked the connector, one outer terminal socket at a time and neither had voltage coming to it. Pulled both 20 amp fuses in the 7 & 8 position and checked them for continuity. Both checked good. With each fuse out I checked power coming to the fuse clip. Both locations check about 11.5 volts. I also checked power coming to the mid terminal port on the NSS from the starter relay. Measured 11 volts. If I'm not getting any voltage at either of the two outer connection points, the wiring diagram shows both wires going back to 7 & 8 on the fuse block. Is the next thing to check continuity through the wires from the fuse box (inside) to the bulkhead connection in the engine bay? After that, check for continuity in the wires between bulkhead connection and the NSS connector? Any suggestions?.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was finally able to spend some time troubleshooting. Down at the connector, putting a jumper wire between the outer terminal sockets with the car in reverse and ignition on did not resolve the problem. Still no back up lights. Checked the connector, one outer terminal socket at a time and neither had voltage coming to it. Pulled both 20 amp fuses in the 7 & 8 position and checked them for continuity. Both checked good. With each fuse out I checked power coming to the fuse clip. Both locations check about 11.5 volts. I also checked power coming to the mid terminal port on the NSS from the starter relay. Measured 11 volts. If I'm not getting any voltage at either of the two outer connection points, the wiring diagram shows both wires going back to 7 & 8 on the fuse block. Is the next thing to check continuity through the wires from the fuse box (inside) to the bulkhead connection in the engine bay? After that, check for continuity in the wires between bulkhead connection and the NSS connector? Any suggestions?.

I'm working through the same issue. Did you ever get yours figured out?

I’m not sure how I did it but it is working now. There had been an aftermarket cruise control wired in and I removed all the cobbled up wires under the dash. I also replaced the neutral switch wiring harness. So far so good. Don’t know exactly what it was but the back up lights come on when in reverse

Auto Transport Service
Back