• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backyard find 1970 Charger DIY Build

DSC-0428.jpg

DSC-0438.jpg

IMG-4589.jpg

IMG-E5893.jpg

IMG-E5934.jpg

DSC-0396.jpg

the best car in the whole wide world and the best girl in the whole wide world

update:

-Took the charger to it's first car show with my buddy who has the General Lee
-After fighting with a leaky oil pan gasket, I decided to not use a gasket at all and just use permatex black. ZERO leaks.
-Fighting with a valve cover gasket leak now. Just ordered Moroso gaskets and the keeper tab things that go between the bolts and the cover. Should be here next week.

You likely know this but just in case:
When you put gaskets on stamped steel stock covers they are frequently wallowed in at the bolts.
To undo the damage take a small thin wall socket like a 1/4" 12 pt say 3/8" or 7/16" or so set it on the bench with the square end down.
Or a piece of thin wall stainless tubing if you have it.
Flip the cover over and center the bolt hole over the socket try and get the socket right up against the side of the cover.
Lightly tap with a ball peen to stretch the cover back to flat or slightly beyond.
The Moroso reusable gaskets should help they are pricey but very nice, but even then I only use a nut driver to tighten.
Sweet car!

You likely know this but just in case:
When you put gaskets on stamped steel stock covers they are frequently wallowed in at the bolts.
To undo the damage take a small thin wall socket like a 1/4" 12 pt say 3/8" or 7/16" or so set it on the bench with the square end down.
Or a piece of thin wall stainless tubing if you have it.
Flip the cover over and center the bolt hole over the socket try and get the socket right up against the side of the cover.
Lightly tap with a ball peen to stretch the cover back to flat or slightly beyond.
The Moroso reusable gaskets should help they are pricey but very nice, but even then I only use a nut driver to tighten.
Sweet car!
Hey thanks I will try that this weekend. I put the moroso gaskets on and guess what? still leaks ! ha ha ha ha ha ha.... i was laughing because i felt like throwing something. The studs I have on there now aren't long enough for me to fit the gasket, valve cover, and the keepers on so I ordered longer studs. I'll try your trick before I put them back on. Thanks !

Auto Transport Service
Back