• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ball and trunnion 1964 Belvedere poly 318

barbee6043

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
It has all of a sudden developed a trrible vibtation as I start off and the smooths out with some speed. Jacked it up and vibation coming from trunnion joint. I know that pin is a pressed in deal and hard to get off with a press and I must be exactly centered, ( I doubt it has moved!) so I guess the issue has to be with the needle bearings in the balls? I ask this before this old fart gets under there. I know most guys cgange over to the conversion deal but that is $500 and two 2 hour trips to a shop.
I did a search here and I see it is said the earlier trunnion needle bearings are same as my 64, and a kit for the earlier Mopars (50s) is like $100 from Andy Bernbaum parts.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Funny story.... one time mine had an overabundance of grease in the trunnion end. It actually threw the balance out pretty bad, but the whole problem went away after a couple hundred miles.

I've seen kits on eBay in the $150 and less range, depending on seller, boot included or not, etc.

Did the rubber boot fail/split/rip apart?
I think that's how it starts, grease goes flying out.
I noticed mine is ripped so I'll need to address it soon.

I've never heard of one failing, even in a max wedge car, though everyone seems to despise them, so curious to see what you find.

Of the many swapped out, maybe someone will send you one dirt cheap.

First is your boot ripped ?
If so more than likely it is the needle bearings got debris and went dry over time and wore out.
The pin has not moved but sounds like you are addressing this problem early which is good but you will have to take things apart to diagnose.
My pin was worn on my 63 and had a local shop remove and reinstall new one for cheap.
They are not preferred for drag racing but are fine on a daily driver.
If the boot is maintained ( keeping an eye out for tears ) they will outlast u-joints IMHO.

I got to get it back up in the air and gt the driveshaft out. At 75 Its hard to get down and back up. Good thing I have a wife that will hlp when she has time. I admit I am NOT used to being in this way!!! I have 3 other trunnion shafts that have been sitting how many decades??? One is out of a 63 Dart, probably in inch too long, the other out of a 62 Lancer, too short. BUT I will see hat they have for parts!!
Getting a new boot in they say is a bitch.

The PO had installed a new boot on it but had it just half way in which is worthless, bearings had failed. I. ready to get down to one or two done cars, BUT you can't gibe away a good 64 Bel MORE door!! Too bad it is not a tri five Chevy. ha

BUT you can't gibe away a good 64 Bel MORE door!!
I'm glad this isnt the For Sale section, so we are free to comment. I love that four door you have, and I bet I'm not the only one temped to give you a call lol. But, like many, I too fit into the "Not enough time on my hands, and already too many projects" catagory. :-/

I'm glad this isnt the For Sale section, so we are free to comment. I love that four door you have, and I bet I'm not the only one temped to give you a call lol. But, like many, I too fit into the "Not enough time on my hands, and already too many projects" catagory. :-/
For sure, this will get moved to the forale area, BUT I willl beat them to it. Going there now under parts cars for sale. THIS car is 99% DONE< needs the trunnion done, the brake light switch, and fix the bad sockets in the trunk. Runs/drives great till the DS started its BS! BUT I'm in TX and most everyone that wants it is 1000mi away! in the middle of the RUST BELT!

Getting a new boot in they say is a bitch
Hopefully the cross pin isn't scared and you can just rebuild it without replacing. You would need a good press to replace it.

Read the two links here when I freshened mine up and replaced the boot.

I found this company and they were perfect.

Roberts Motor PartsAntique Dodge Truck Parts Antique Plymouth Parts Antique Dodge Parts Welcome!

Here's a how too if you need it.

Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

Hopefully the cross pin isn't scared and you can just rebuild it without replacing. You would need a good press to replace it.

Read the two links here when I freshened mine up and replaced the boot.

I found this company and they were perfect.

Roberts Motor PartsAntique Dodge Truck Parts Antique Plymouth Parts Antique Dodge Parts Welcome!

Here's a how too if you need it.

Like said, I have 2 other trunnion shafts the correct length. I will try to get the shaft on out today/ I did advertise the car for sale in parts cars!! Too nice for such but the buyer can part it or have a cool driver.'
If I end up keeping it I may very well just do the conversion joint.

Auto Transport Service
Back