• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast Resistor Help

He never said he wanted a new coil. He's just looking for a spare ballast resistor with the correct rating to match what he has.
Like I said earlier all he needs to do is measure the resistor in the car. Remove the wire from one side and put a good meter on it.
I appreciate it Don, but the one in the car now is like the 6th I put in it - zero guarantee it's "correct" as a result.
I know what it is (0.7 ohm) and where to fetch another.
I just don't understand the whole bit about "piggybacking" another ballast onto the loop with a given coil
(like the MSD Blaster) IF I have points, but not if I don't.
Come to think of it, I'll go check to see what Accel says on the subject. Curiosity...

A curiosity question....WHY ???? do you want or feel you need a new or different coil, like the revered Accel Super Coil??? I don't believe it "makes more" horsepower....but if it does, it would seem that everyone would want one..... just asking.....
BOB RENTON
Given the "quality" of aftermarket stock replacements, well....not to mention, I've had stock coils fail more than once
over the years.
The "nostalgia" appeal for the Accel stems from my own much younger days, when those big yellow coils were
absolutely rock-solid reliable and we'd actually move them from car to car without fear over time.
Doubtful they're made like those were these days, but who knows?

Given the "quality" of aftermarket stock replacements, well....not to mention, I've had stock coils fail more than once
over the years.
The "nostalgia" appeal for the Accel stems from my own much younger days, when those big yellow coils were
absolutely rock-solid reliable and we'd actually move them from car to car without fear over time.
Doubtful they're made like those were these days, but who knows?

Personally, I think those "big yellow coils" were atrocious looking and did not function any better or worse than the stock or after market coils. The Accel coils were so large that they could not be mounted on the engine, like a "stock" coil but needed to be mounted externally to the engine. Perhaps, if you seek higher spark voltage, for what ever reason, and you want a more "nostalgia" appearance, you could consider one of the Pertronix coils, reputed to offer higher spark voltage. Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

He never said he wanted a new coil. He's just looking for a spare ballast resistor with the correct rating to match what he has.
Like I said earlier all he needs to do is measure the resistor in the car. Remove the wire from one side and put a good meter on it.

This X2

And the original poster , surprised no one has asked , has said if it’s a single or dual ballast resistor set up

Yep, it matters on whether or not the OP has points or electronic ignition - and on what coil he's running.
I have an original Mopar electronic ignition conversion kit on mine plus a MSD Blaster II coil.
Both of those say they require difference impedance ballasts.
I have no idea what to run on the damn thing as a result.

Why are you running a CDI Coil in the first place ? Regardless of the ballast resistor

Why are you running a CDI Coil in the first place ? Regardless of the ballast resistor
No idea what you're on about. I needed a coil and the local parts store had those, which I believed
had to be better than their stock type (Chinesium) offering off the shelf. That's it.

There all Chinese- As a matter of fact , I don’t know of an oil filled canister coil made in the USA today

The Mopar Ignition Module ECU , 5 pin factory or 4 pin conversion kits that most of us are familiar with from the 70s are considered Inductive Ignition Systems

Points systems , distributors are considered Inductive Ignition Systems

Blaster 2 Coils - Oil Filled or Epoxy are designed to bee used with CDI ignition systems

A few reads

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014...h-capacitive-discharge-vs-inductive-ignition/

https://www.diyautotune.com/news/tu...il-might-not-work-with-an-inductive-ignition/

There all Chinese- As a matter of fact , I don’t know of an oil filled canister coil made in the USA today

The Mopar Ignition Module ECU , 5 pin factory or 4 pin conversion kits that most of us are familiar with from the 70s are considered Inductive Ignition Systems

Points systems , distributors are considered Inductive Ignition Systems

Blaster 2 Coils - Oil Filled or Epoxy are designed to bee used with CDI ignition systems

A few reads

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014...h-capacitive-discharge-vs-inductive-ignition/

https://www.diyautotune.com/news/tu...il-might-not-work-with-an-inductive-ignition/

TRUE.....the original Mopar ECU and coil as well as a points ignigion system both are an inductive system as this is how the coil's secondary windings develop the high voltage.....inductively...the primary winding current induces the secondary winding voltage as determined by coil's primary to secondary TURNS RATIO.
BUT ...a Capacitive Discharge (CD) system is as also an inductive system as well. The only difference is the coil's primary voltage is considerably higher, ~ 400 vDC, as you noted. And this higher voltage pulse, caused by the discharge of capacitor thru a high voltage SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier), a high voltage switch, which INDUCES, or inductively causes the coil's secondary windings to develop the high spark voltage, by the collapse of the primary winding voltage, albeit a higher voltage. In fact, a CD system is also an inductive system as well. Its just the method of deriving the coil's primary voltage pulse and its control. Everything is related to the inducing of energy across the coil's primary winding and secondary windings. Whether the coil is epoxy or oil insulated depends on the operating voltage levels, temperature constraints or vibration levels encountered. Just thought you might like to know.
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Well alrighty then....just what coil should a fella be running with his Mopar electronic ignition then?

How about the standard, oil filled Mopar coil.....just makes sure the coil matches the ballast resistor ohms value as noted on #15s posting.....
BOB RENTON
Spiffy....except for that whole availability/cost thing.
For that matter, when did the "factory" stuff become undesirable as well?

Oil Filled Canister Coils - Pick your color - Yellow / Red / Black LOL
Accel 8140 - 1.4 Ohms Primary
Edelbrock 22739 - 1.4 Ohms Primary
Pertronix 40011 like mentioned - 1.5 Ohms Primary
Standard UC 12 and Master Pro 2 - 5195 Work Just Fine
And I would assume your running a 1 OHM to 1.5 OHM Ballast Resistor in the system also
Very impressive and helpful! What is your background on these, if I may ask? It's obvious you've done
your homework.

Auto Transport Service
Back