• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Banana Project Thread 72 Satellite Seabring

More progress over the last few weeks. Some of my back ordered parts started to show up so I was able to get things done. The AC parts arrived from Original Air so I was able to install the condenser, radiator and hoses. I discovered that one of the AC hose fittings wont work with the angle of the compressor so I'll have to order a replacement.

I finished up everything on the underside except the tranny bushing (Yeah.... Its on back order) So for now I bolted up the old one just in case I get it running before it shows up. I have been doing the electrical over the last few days and today I installed the battery and tested my installation. I'm about 80% done with the electrical, still waiting for the front light harness.

Waiting on my headers and I have to order all new brakes but my wife and Christmas gifts killed my bank account.

IMG_7290.jpeg
IMG_7292.jpeg
IMG_7315.jpeg
IMG_7316.jpeg
IMG_7318.jpeg

Lookin' good.

Are you going with 134?

A little off topic but I love it when my lovely wife comes into the garage to hang out with me even if she's just using my laptop to go shopping on my Amazon account. :thumbsup:

IMG_7270.jpeg

It's GREAT to have a lovely wife, especially one that likes to hang out with you.

I was wondering if there's a difference in receiver/dryers for r12 vs 134.
The seal on mine gave up a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a replacement.

It's GREAT to have a lovely wife, especially one that likes to hang out with you.

I was wondering if there's a difference in receiver/dryers for r12 vs 134.
The seal on mine gave up a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a replacement.

to be totally honest I had to learn all about AC systems on this build so I'm totally green on the subject. I don't think there is a difference, they look the same and I still have my old one to compare it too.

Steve, I know that there is alot of wires and things in that area on the car, but you should consider blacking out the area behind the grille.
Like this.
Dec 13 (6).jpg

Looking great Steve! Enjoy the process, not just the final product, seems to be a little more fun that way. Maybe your wife was ordering you some parts!

Steve, I know that there is alot of wires and things in that area on the car, but you should consider blacking out the area behind the grille.
Like this.
View attachment 1045705

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it some thought. I'm not sure when I will start the body and paint project ether spring of 2021 (Being optimistic) or no later than spring of 2022. At the same time I'll be doing the interior as well. More to come when I get there.

Looking great Steve! Enjoy the process, not just the final product, seems to be a little more fun that way. Maybe your wife was ordering you some parts!

Ha! I wish she was ordering goodies for the Banana. She was ordering girly stuff of course. I do enjoy wrenching and going out of my comfort zone to learn new things. The engine compartment paint project was a huge milestone for me because it was something I never did before so I had go to YouTube and my local paint supplier to help. My paint guy was much more help.

Hey Steve... Just read your project thread from the beginning. Great progress man !!! With that 408 you'll probably need some heavy duty engine mounts LOL Do they make them? I've broken a couple of stock ones over the years with my 318 too. Hmmm... I wonder if my old high school parking lot still has my burnout stripes from 1985? LOL

Keep up the great work. -Steve

Thanks! I got some motor mounts that where kinda plain, not the cheapest but not the most expensive ether. I hope they will survive the multiple burnouts I'm planning on doing.

Now I wait for all my backordered parts. Headers wont be here until later this month and the new brakes, and new shiny brake lines have been shipped so I ordered a new audio system for the Banana to keep me busy. The head unit will be a retro-replica of the original radio. The head unit from Classic Car Stereos has Bluetooth and will play back all my music from my phone. (All 3600 songs)

Alpine 6x9 speakers for the rear deck and 5" Alpine's for the kick panel that I will custom fit. I'll have a Rockford amp under the rear deck driving all the speakers with a sub in the trunk. (Not the junk in the trunk! LOL)

What's a post without pictures you ask? Wonder no more!

IMG_7407.jpeg
IMG_7406.jpeg
IMG_7403.jpeg
IMG_7401.jpeg

So far I got most of the wire harness done, I'm still waiting for the front light harness. For the new 100 amp alternator I made my own wire harness and installed a breaker on the inner fender and bypassed the ammeter. That has been the only modification I have done to the original wire harness. (So far...) The new tunes will not touch anything under the dash. I have all new wiring just for the radio head amp and speakers.

I'm probably going to have to move the MSD ignition box, I think I might hit the hood rail. I could get rid of the voltage regulator and the ignition ballast resistor and move the MSD box there I suppose.

MOPAR firewalls where never very pretty. Think I'll get a beer and sit in the garage and stare at it.

I am an audio purest and must have good sounding tunes in my ride. After doing a ton of online homework to see where I can install speakers in the front and found nothing that would work well except for kick panel speakers which didn't really appeal to me also they where too close to the parking brake so decided to pull the door panels and check the clearances myself.

To my surprise I found out that the drivers door is not the original door! I knew that there has been some previous body work done and a cheap paint job but never knew about the door. Its not a big deal as it works fine and at least its an original Mopar and not a reproduction.

I also found that the replacement door already had a speaker cut out for a 5" and a tweeter. I measured my clearances to be sure that my Alpine 5 1/4 will fit then cleaned up the sheet metal with a mini air saw, cut the panels and cut a new speaker opening on the other side. In the end I will have 2 6x9 speakers on the rear deck under the felt, sub woofer in the trunk and 2 5" up front in the doors. Amp under the rear deck mounted upside down and a retro classic head unit in the dash so the only thing you will see are the two speakers in the door which was not so uncommon in the 70's.

IMG_7412.jpeg
IMG_7413.jpeg
IMG_7415.jpeg

Just got an email this morning from Summit and my headers will be here Monday!! Yay! New brake lines are on the truck. I might have the Banana running in a week or so then its off to the muffler shop for a new kick *** exhaust system.

The day I had to travel for work for a week my headers came in. (Go figure)

Before they arrived I went to work on installing the stereo system. For some reason some Chrysler engineer thought it would be funny to make the 2 6x9 speaker cut outs on the rear deck different. One was a 6x9 and the other was some other goofy size. Nothing that my mini saw can't fix so I went to work. I installed the amp on a piece of plywood and painted it black and mounted it under the deck. I'm still wiring it up then dress the harness.
IMG_7431.jpeg
IMG_7432.jpeg
IMG_7434.jpeg
IMG_7516.jpeg

I got back from my trip and got busy installing the headers. I had to get as much room under the car as I could and it was still a pain in the ***. It took me all day but I got them in. Now I have to hook up the steering linkage, transmission linkage and install the starter which I'm now discovering is a real tight space. I hope I never have to replace the starter in the field. I have to work this weekend so today I hope to get most of the header installation done today.

IMG_7511.jpeg
IMG_7513.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg

i might be wrong, but, the " speaker " hole on the drivers side rear deck i believe was also used as the mounting point for the rear defogger unit, so the hole was made to accept it. I dont think 2 rear speakers were common .

I finally got the starter installed!

The trick was to unbolt the header except for the one bolt on the #1 exhaust port and let it dangle then slip the starter in from the Bellhousing. Still a lot of work especially if I find myself having to do this at some car show 300 miles away from home.

But wait! There's more.......

Steering linkage bolted back together with no clearance problems but the transmission column shifter link doesn't clear the top of the collector. I need only an inch more room. Hooker recommends rotating the linkage 180 degrees and do some minor welding. (See pic) That's all fine if I had a mig welder handy. (I can weld) So I did some turning of the frame bracket to a point that wouldn't require that I would have to cut and weld and bolted it all up. What I found out is that the geometry of the linkage changed so as a result the normal spacing between gears is really short and doesn't line up with the column indication.

Back to the drawing board......

Next week I'm going to fab up my own frame/linkage bracket and try to restore the geometry while clearing the header collector. Then I will have to do a Redneck fix to connect the rest of the exhaust system so I can break in the engine without going deaf. (And pissing off my wife and the whole neighborhood) When that's done I'm going to make a bee line to my muffler guy who is really good to set me up with some new pipes.

IMG_7523.jpeg
IMG_7524.jpeg
IMG_7525.jpeg
IMG_7526.jpeg
IMG_7532.jpeg

i might be wrong, but, the " speaker " hole on the drivers side rear deck i believe was also used as the mounting point for the rear defogger unit, so the hole was made to accept it. I dont think 2 rear speakers were common .

I had to remove what was left of the stock speaker from the rear drivers side opening. It was totally trashed due to decay. There was some extra holes on the rear deck for something so that may have been it.

Just FYI-

Hooker super comps fit well with a SB.
They also don't go under the center link.

Hooker comps, do not.

...and you pay for the difference.

Kudo's to the PO for making sure the window crank cleared the speaker.

If I had a dollar........

I think you’re right. I had a ‘73 Charger that had the rear defogger motor mounted to that spot.

Auto Transport Service
Back