• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Banana Project Thread 72 Satellite Seabring

The Banana is ALIVE!

I wrangled the headers in place and temporarily hooked them up to the existing exhaust system. After that I filled up the Banana with all the fluids and checked everything but after months of sitting around with only occasional charging the battery was low. It would crank over slowly and I discovered the MSD ignition system doesn't work with voltages below 9VDC. Unfortunately I had to leave it at that as I had to go travel for work.

When I got back I went right to work and had a fully charged battery and after a few tweaks (And fixes) I got her started! I set the initial timing and performed the recommended 30 minute break in. Then I set the total timing per BPE instructions, set the idle mixture and RPM and now shes purring nicely.

I need to finish the brakes and the stereo install then she'll be ready to drive. I also need to do some tweaks, (OK, lots of tweaks) finish the AC installation, install the hood and have the new exhaust system installed. Not to mention clean up my garage and give my other classic (1979 Ford F350 4x4 Ranger Lariat) some love.

I'm already planning the body and paint project but in the meantime I'm gonna enjoy driving around with my hot wife.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bGA6G4vNeWEn2edY8

Thought sure that was gonna be a link to pics of "hot wife".

Sounds good.

I got some more work done on the Banana and as soon as I fixed one thing, something else would come up. I'm on page 2 of my post drive to do list.

RenderedImage.jpg
IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_7709.jpeg
IMG_7714.jpeg

Some are small fixes, others concern me like the water in oil. I'm not sure if I even have any water in the oil or maybe its just the look of the break-in oil. More investigating is required. Another problem is a nagging oil leak coming from the rear intake manifold area. Initially I had forgotten to install the O ring on the dizzy shaft so I cleaned up that mess and installed the ring. I still have a leak in the same area (Or might be residual but I doubt it) I did not use the front or rear gaskets that came with my intake manifold gasket kit. Instead I made a real nice RTV bead front and back with an extra dab where the head meets the block. I've done this before with success.

I checked the torque on the intake manifold bolts and it did loosen up a little after the first drive so I re-torqued the bolts and checked for leaks after the second drive. Seems OK..... But still..... I worry. Worst case will have to pull the intake off and re-do the seal.

I have a big cam so my vacuum is low thusly my brakes are stiff at low RPMs. I may have to swap out the stock vacuum booster for a dual diaphragm booster. I'm waiting on my vacuum gauge to get here so I can run some tests.

On the bright side the 408 has plenty of power! I'm very happy with it and I think I made the right call to stay in the small block category as these B Body's are heavy enough. Because of my broken tranny mount I have to take it easy but I couldn't resist just one burnout. Oh that was fun!!! I thought I broke another motor mount doing it but it was just the tranny mount moving a lot. its been 5 days and the tire marks are still on the roadway right in front of the County Corp yard.

My new sound system kicks ***! I'm really good with audio stuff but I hit this design out of the ballpark! I haven't even installed the sub-woofer yet. I can share specs if anyone is interested.

Great write-up. Man the underside of that car is clean. I like the white/white too. Sweet ride. Mine is black/black. Gotta get my AC working again. I'm looking for some vented seats. You do nice work. Enjoy.

I received my new transmission mount and installed it right away. Because the mount is new and has rubber where as my old one was like mush I noticed a vibration from the engine. I have the correct harmonic balance with the proper weights installed. I have a call into BluePrint engines but I think I know where the problem is located.

I had my transmission rebuilt locally and a new converter installed. The new converter is probably not balanced like the old one was. I have a call into my local transmission shop to confirm this. So that leaves the flex plate which I reused from my old 318. Doing some reading on other forums I need a balanced flex plate for the 360 in order for it to work correctly with a unbalanced aftermarket converter.

This is where I mutter out a bunch of cuss words.......

My options are pretty limited.

A. Have the transmission shop install a balanced converter under warranty. (Unlikely but I'll try)
B. Drop the transmission myself and install the correct flex plate. (Yeah I'll probably get stuck doing this.)

Oh, footnote. Since I have a good transmission mount now I was able to put my foot in it a few times before she went back into the garage. Very impressive!!! Put me in the back seat! It was almost scary! After I fix the vibration problem and my leaks I'll get a new exhaust system installed. I'm going with Spintech mufflers with 3" pipe. That will fix the breathing problem and it will sound great.

Last edited:
Solution Found!

I got schooled on torque converters by Blue Print Engines (BTW great customer service) The original 318 is internally balanced so no weights on the TC where needed. The 360 is externally balanced so it has to have a balanced TC. When I took my transmission in to be rebuilt I told them that this was going behind a bored out 360 to 408 and they said it would work. Long story short they admitted to giving me the wrong TC but they didn't do the installation so we agreed that the shop will replace the TC with a OEM rebuilt and cover the cost. On the labor we agreed to go half so a few hundred bucks to save me from dropping the tranny is worth it.

The Banana will go to the transmission shop for a few days so I'll take that time to clean up the garage and get things ready to fix the intake manifold oil leaks.

IMG_7145.jpeg
IMG_7143.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg

Don't you love doing things twice?

I got the Banana back from the transmission shop and my vibration problem is solved! Yea!!!!! She drives and shifts like a dream. Now on to my next problems. I'm going to tackle 5 problems at once since I'll be in the same area.

-Intake manifold oil leak.
-Exhaust leak.
-Motor mounts (Yes I busted my new motor mounts doing burnouts)
-U-Joints.
-Speedometer problems.

I jacked up the engine and loosened up the transmission mount and removed the broken motor mount and swapped it out with a solid steel mount. This is where I had second thoughts.... I want to be able to drive the Banana without being uncomfortable. So after I did all that work of bolting up the new steel motor mounts I ordered another set of mounts from Mancini Racing that is rubber but it is bolted all the way through thus preventing the separating of the rubber from the steel. The job only took me a couple of hours to do so it wasn't that bad and my headers are still off.

IMG_7810.jpeg

IMG_7809.jpeg

Intake manifold leaks have been fixed (Hopefully) This time I used the valley gaskets and I used a better intake gasket from Edelbrock. I removed the old U-Joints (That was fun!) and the replacements are on the way. The speedometer didn't work at all. The tranny shop replaced the gear that goes to the cable from the tranny. (For free) now the speedometer is off by 40MPH and makes a horrible noise. I'm going to pull the speedometer out again and see if I can fix it. I have another one I can use for parts or visa versa.

IMG_7832.jpeg
IMG_7833.jpeg

Are those threaded holes for a roller cam spider in your lifter gallery?

Speaking of doing things twice.... Now its my headers. But first, some success.

I received my new motor mounts from Mancini Racing and so far I'm impressed with the construction quality. I think this will be my last set I will have to replace.

IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg

I did have to replace the welded nut with a Aircraft nut and a washer because of the limited space I had to work in with the headers in the way even though I disconnected them. Now to the not so much fun part. I discovered that my pitman arm was hitting the top of the #7 header pipe. That would explain some of the steering issues I have been experiencing. I don't know how I didn't catch this problem earlier.

IMG_7916.jpeg
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7918.jpeg
IMG_7920.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg

I placed a call into Hooker Headers but I don't know what they will do for me so I will just return them to Summit Racing for a refund and use that refund to buy a nice set of TTI shorties. https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi34025.htm

I think those headers will be a whole lot easier to install and they should look and sound great too according to all the write ups I have seen so far. So it looks like I will have to work on my list of things to fix in the meantime.

After a long back order I finally received my TTI headers. At the last minute I changed my order to the long pipes instead of the shorties. They went in perfectly with no major problems and they sit nicely underneath with a higher clearance. Well worth the extra $$$ I paid for them.

64512765929__3568510C-4FA3-4694-AF5E-8BC82028A479.jpeg
64512767354__24C8B00E-680D-40EC-8C33-1D9738A6CD3F.jpeg

I'm still working on a nagging oil leak coming from the back of the block. I have replaced the valley gaskets and isolated the oil sender unit. The only thing left is my MSD distributor shaft. There is oil on the shaft and on the base and the oil leaks down to the drivers side header. When I accelerate I'll get a plume of smoke from the oil that is leaking onto the header. I called Blue Print Engines and they told me I can expect some oil leak from that area during break-in. I'm kinda skeptical so I'll check the PCV system and take a closer look at the distributor.

Lots of other things have been done like working on the AC system, steering, suspension, electrical and the most impactful project was restoring the paint. Since I pretty much blew my entire budget on the engine project I'm not going to have enough leftover for body and paint until next year. So over the weekend I polished up the old paint and gave the Banana one heck of a detail job. I have to say its not too bad!

IMG_0682.jpeg
IMG_8540.jpeg
IMG_8541.jpeg
IMG_8542.jpeg
IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_0691.jpeg

Ultimately the Banana will look like this.

IMG_6933.jpeg

Half black vinyl top (I already have the very expensive trim pieces that goes across the roof.) and the very 70's strobe stripe. Adding a go wing spoiler to the rear. Most of the plastic inside has already started breaking down so I'm going to change everything out to black. We can call it a ripe banana. LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back