• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bare block protection?

68Satellite440

Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wanted to ask a question to the experienced guys, I just bought a ‘67 383 and ‘72 HP 440 blocks.
What is the best oil/grease/whatever to preserve these blocks from rust till I get around to building them?

I know WD40 is bad.
Ive been told grease or trans fluid.

Thanks for the help, -Pat.

I've been hosing them down with rust check.
The lubricant in the red can.
Holding up pretty damn good from what I can see

LPS-3 and a plastic bag closed up with no holes in it.

A1485129-7AB9-4CD0-8E2F-500C704CF594.png

D929E737-3FB3-4D4D-8009-452A7B2A0ADC.jpeg

Yes! LPS-3 is like a Cosmoline for long term storage. WD-40 will evaporate 100%.

Where are you guys buying LPS-3? Used to be in all the stores around here, but not anymore.

I used to buy it through MSC when I was working and didn't have to pay for it! I think Grainger carries it.

I used to buy it through MSC when I was working and didn't have to pay for it! I think Grainger carries it.
So this stuff good for spraying into all the bores and lifter galley? Then bag it up tight?
Is it a pain to clean out when ready to use block?

No, just use Kerosene or Mineral Spirits. Keep the block/bag off of the concrete floor!
Good stuff!

I didn't see it mentioned.
I heard it works well so before I put my block in a bag I hosed it down with Fluid Film .

View attachment 1569209
That is the stuff I ended up buying since LPS-3 is not sold around here anymore. It has very good reviews. I coated a couple of engine blocks with it as well, but less than a year ago, so don't know how well it will work yet.

I second Gibbs lubricant. Lasts a long time. I heard guys use it to protect bare metal rat rods, so I picked some up for around the shop.

Bought LPS-3 at ACE hardware store couple days ago ,had a 7 dollar ace hardware reward card , save 7 bucks . Can get it from Amazon to ,cost more than Ace hareware.

For my money——Fluid Film. Stuff just works.

Auto trans fluid. Doesn't dry out & penetrates everywhere, unlike solids such as grease. Next time you change your auto trans fluid, keep some for rust proofing. Cost zero.

Auto Transport Service
Back