• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn finds?

j-c-c-62

Local time
11:23 AM
Reaction score
Barn finds rarely interest me nor do I much follow them.
If this one is common knowledge, sorry to rehash.
But all I have to say is Wow! and what was the point anyway?
If you plan to drive and live to 150? years, maybe I can see it.

MSN

Counterpoint.

A good friend of mine, known him for decades, started a junkyard in 1968, before I was even a thought in my parents heads.
For decades, he saved every Mopar he could find, built multiple buildings, sheds, and barns.

Always willing to sell for the right price, but he will not dicker on the sticker.
Not going to give them away so someone can make a giant profit, but not out to gouge you of your life's savings.

People hate him with a passion for not selling dirt cheap, or appreciate him for saving these cars.

I'm broke, and I've bought 8 cars from him over the years, I still have 5, drove every one of them, some a few years, most to this day.
The kid loves and drives them as well.

Not every barn find hoarder is a self centered yahoo or an unrealistic dreamer.

While the majority tossed them away, some actually saved these gems for me and the next generation.

That's the point.

My Barn Find... Spent over twenty years in a barn

1016386-rev%20RT.jpg

Turned out pretty good for something that just gathered dust & acted as a home for rodents & a family of racoons..
IMG_7488.jpg

Turned out pretty good for something that just gathered dust & acted as a home for rodents & a family of racoons..
Sweet! Reminds me of my cars, much nicer though.
The reality is, any one of mine I couldn't afford to buy now, that's after getting them roadworthy, without paint or any shiny bits.

Sweet! Reminds me of my cars, much nicer though.
The reality is, any one of mine I couldn't afford to buy now, that's after getting them roadworthy, without paint or any shiny bits.
Today? I could never justify the current prices... I have three Mopar convertibles & all together I have less $$$ into them than guys are spending for a decent A body these days...

Someone else posted a video of that place a few years ago. I think I remember him saying most parts are for sale. The way he maximized indoor storage is great.

Once they're gone, they're gone.
Whether in a barn, garage, museum or under a carport, I can appreciate any effort at keeping these old rigs around.
I'm glad there's folks out there who care enough about 'em to do that.

Someone else posted a video of that place a few years ago. I think I remember him saying most parts are for sale. The way he maximized indoor storage is great.
So where and who is it?
I thought is was a bit telling the video never shared that info, I didn't get the initial take this collection was for the altruistic good of the hobby as most here seem to be sharing.
I have no interest in what I saw, but sure many others do.

So where and who is it?
I thought is was a bit telling the video never shared that info, I didn't get the initial take this collection was for the altruistic good of the hobby as most here seem to be sharing.
I can't remember who and where, too many beers ago, I did a quick search but couldn't find it. The video was posted on this site, I'm sure somebody will come along and know about it.

I can't remember who and where, too many beers ago, I did a quick search but couldn't find it. The video was posted on this site, I'm sure somebody will come along and know about it.
That then begs the question, what has happened to all that stuff since the video, have any of the cars been restored, are the parts back in circulation, etc?

It is true, Auto Archaeology was not the first person to video and post this collection on YouTube.
Someone else did the same exact walk around to all of these cars, iirc did a better job.
Finding videos on YT can be very difficult, I was trying to find one earlier today and gave up, found the channel name searching IG.

My "barn find", guess I should have bought a bag of dust collector dust before pulling it out!!
beeincontainer 004.JPG

So where and who is it?
R & R salvage is somewheres close by

" According to the video description, “much of this came out of R&R Salvage and cars that they parted through the decades. Some were barn finds, others rescued from junkyards or farms.”

My take is he was asking about the site - Barn Finds - following them and seems they post a lot of the dealer cars over and over - I've posted that in the comments many a time.

Anyone who's still got one in long term neglected storage is mentally ill. Not batshit crazy... but they are delusional that they will "get to it someday" buddy, you're 70 years old, "someday" aint happening. Let it go now or die knowing that your heirs will likely be throwing out all your spare parts and selling your car for a lot less than it's worth. Everytime I go offshore fishing or fly without my wife... my last words out the door are "I love you, and remember: $____.00 for the boat, $___.00 for the car" I figure the rest of the family can help her value the house.

Anyone who's still got one in long term neglected storage is mentally ill. Not batshit crazy... but they are delusional that they will "get to it someday" buddy, you're 70 years old, "someday" aint happening. Let it go now or die knowing that your heirs will likely be throwing out all your spare parts and selling your car for a lot less than it's worth. Everytime I go offshore fishing or fly without my wife... my last words out the door are "I love you, and remember: $____.00 for the boat, $___.00 for the car" I figure the rest of the family can help her value the house.
And yet I know a guy in his eighties who finished two cars last year.... Cars that he bought in his thirties... Yes, he paid to have most of the work done, but it got done... He said he would get them done & he saw it as something he wanted to complete...

And yet I know a guy in his eighties who finished two cars last year.... Cars that he bought in his thirties... Yes, he paid to have most of the work done, but it got done... He said he would get them done & he saw it as something he wanted to complete...
Awesome for him, but that is rare. Not a lot of guys who hold onto a car, neglect it, and let it rot for 40 or so years till they get to it. I'm also assuming this guy wasn't "storing" them in rotted out lean too with no roof or buried up to the floorboards in mud outside?

Awesome for him, but that is rare. Not a lot of guys who hold onto a car, neglect it, and let it rot for 40 or so years till they get to it. I'm also assuming this guy wasn't "storing" them in rotted out lean too with no roof or buried up to the floorboards in mud outside?
This is an agricultural area... There are barns everywhere... Many have cars in them... Some of those cars were parked yesterday... Some fifty plus years ago... In his case he's an Almond farmer & the barn contained his high school car, a 48 Chevy sedan... His first new car a 59 Impala... And a 65 Corvette... He restored his 48 & his 59... And let his son have the Vette since it was the car the son drove on Friday & Saturday nights while in High School... Next time I get by there I'll try to get pictures... It this point the barn is pretty rough, You'd never expect it to contain what it did... George has nicer barns & tin buildings but those cars were in a 70+ year old barn until a few years ago...

I know of a barn where 70 GTO convertible, a 70 Chevelle SS & a 69 Z28 have been parked since the mid 80's... Another barn with a bunch of Mustangs including a 428 CJ... Lots of barns hiding Mopars..

Thing is I've seen lots of cars that were parked in barns around here, I posted my Challenger, but I've helped pull cars from the 20's, 30's, 40's through the 70's out of old barns around here... Last year I helped pull a 37, 38 & a 40 Ford trucks all out of the same barn one county over... The 38 was parked in the early 50's & only shows 24K on the odometer... It's absolutely rust free & original paint... The guy who owns those trucks also owns an automotive machine shop... So the engine is getting rebuilt but the body is getting left pretty much as is... He had a paintless dent repair guy go around the truck & had the paint polished but a good detailer...

There are guys who judge and often they are right... But just as often they are wrong...

Yeah, I can be amazed and entertained at all these "discoveries" in barns and such - without feeling the
need to get all judgemental (and dare I say, jealous?) of what someone else has stashed away.
Bottom line is - it's theirs to do with as they please, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Auto Transport Service
Back