• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery goes dead, no obvious reason.

He was transported by an alien spaceship to the planet Zork, where he was anally probed for several months (their timescale) before being returned to the ground in the foetal position, and a slightly sore butt. At least that what was in the Police report..... :rolleyes:
My *** is 100% stock, unmodified, unmolested and as virgin as the day I was born. I even feel guilty wiping it.

Hey there.
My 75 Power Wagon sits most of the time. I use it to haul junk and landscaping waste for trips to the dump.
The truck has a 440 and a stock ignition and charging system. When running, it charges fine but after sitting a couple weeks, the battery is too discharged to start the engine.
At first I suspected a weak battery but I switched to another one and it also discharges. I’ve resorted to pulling the positive cable from the battery after parking it.
I mentioned this on the truck forum and one member blamed the alternator. I admit to not knowing as much about electrical systems as I do about other things. To me, if an alternator is charging, it is okay.
Is that wrong?
Can an alternator actually discharge a battery with the engine off ?

Hey there.
My 75 Power Wagon sits most of the time. I use it to haul junk and landscaping waste for trips to the dump.
The truck has a 440 and a stock ignition and charging system. When running, it charges fine but after sitting a couple weeks, the battery is too discharged to start the engine.
At first I suspected a weak battery but I switched to another one and it also discharges. I’ve resorted to pulling the positive cable from the battery after parking it.
I mentioned this on the truck forum and one member blamed the alternator. I admit to not knowing as much about electrical systems as I do about other things. To me, if an alternator is charging, it is okay.
Is that wrong?
Can an alternator actually discharge a battery with the engine off ?
IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION... Can an alternator actually discharge a battery with the engine off ?......YES.....it can IF one of the diodes is shorted. The MOPAR alternator is a three phase full wave unit and if one diode, either a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE diode the battery will be discharged thru the stator windings to ground. Because of a resistance in the windings, it can take several hours. The only TRUE way to determine is to MEASURE IF ANY CURRENT IS FLOWING. DIODES are easy to replace.....no need to take the alternator to a shop......if in doubt, replace both positive and negative units.....its a simple proceedure .....
BOB RENTON

Could it be that a aliens affected Kern's compass spinning out of control resulting in the fall of the roof???.... possibly the battery going dead in the truck is the evidence of the alien encounter?
Was the truck in proximity of the roof?
Since Kern can't recall the fall event I am not sure the fall and battery going dead aren't related?

2i0u11.jpg

Could it be that a aliens affected Kern's compass spinning out of control resulting in the fall of the roof???.... possibly the battery going dead in the truck is the evidence of the alien encounter?
Was the truck in proximity of the roof?
Since Kern can't recall the fall event I am not sure the fall and battery going dead aren't related?

they really need to get that border under control :rolleyes:

I've read about using the multi-meter but I'm not understanding the process. Am I to Connect the meter to the battery then pull one fuse at a time? I thought I read before that one person is to watch the meter, another pulls fuses. I haven't tried this but I don't think the battery drains fast enough to show up on the meter display within minutes. I interpreted this process to mean that the numbers on the meter would be steadily dropping until a fuse is pulled. Is that right?
Lift the Positive cable from the battery........put your multi meter on miliamps or amps and hook it up between your battery pos post and the pos cable. If you have a drain, it will show up on the meter.... Then start pulling fuses one at a time til your drain goes away. I doubt it is a diode in your alternator as that would drain your battery in short order. Usually it will show up as a small drain like a light bulb or something. Do you have a trunk light? or glove box light?

Yes a leaky diode in the alternator can cause a current draw
The old fashioned way to check is have the vehicle completely cooled off, connect the fully charged battery , wait a couple hours and feel if the alternator is warm.

Lift the Positive cable from the battery........put your multi meter on miliamps or amps and hook it up between your battery pos post and the pos cable. If you have a drain, it will show up on the meter.... Then start pulling fuses one at a time til your drain goes away. I doubt it is a diode in your alternator as that would drain your battery in short order. Usually it will show up as a small drain like a light bulb or something. Do you have a trunk light? or glove box light?
I think you have to be careful not to overload your meter, such as opening the door that turns on the dome light.

Sorry that I can’t give the complete instructions, but every time I do electrical work I have to relearn the whole procedure. No aptitude for it.

In a strange example of coincidence, yesterday I was in the library at home and picked up a 9 year old issue of Hagerty magazine and right there was an article on diagnosing slow electrical drains.
It was like thinking of a song and then that very song being on the radio when you start the car.
For some odd reason the process became clear.
I was under the impression that I had to be in 2 places at once...at the meter looking at the display (with both cables connected to the battery) and also at the fuse panel pulling fuses. The act of disconnecting the positive cable and technically bridging the connection using the meter does make sense.

I think you have to be careful not to overload your meter, such as opening the door that turns on the dome light.

Sorry that I can’t give the complete instructions, but every time I do electrical work I have to relearn the whole procedure. No aptitude for it.
This is a valid concern. However, if your battery does not go dead for two or three weeks, You can be sure your drain is in the Mili-amp range since 1 amp will drain the battery in short order. I always start with the amp setting to start with. If it is less than a 1 amp drain, I drop down to the lower scale. My meter has a fuse so I don't worry too much about it. I know not all meters are created the same so ya gotta be careful and have an idea of what you are looking at.

Auto Transport Service
Back