• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery tender

dead trolling motor that came with my boat that I am going to try and resurrect.
I've found the best with that is an old school charger. Wife's camp boat 3 years back only had 2 good cells when we showed up in May. Beat the **** out of it, rock and roll, put charger on boost and let it boil for 1/2 hour and then shut off. Repeat.. and repeat and repeat. Took me 2 days and I got all 6 cells back and used it all Summer on her boat, then again the following Summer. Last Summer it was back to 4 cells working. Did the same thing again. Got 1/2 way through the summer and it was finally toast. We went home for a couple weeks and then it wouldn't hold a charge. Got 17 years out of it.. !

Got 17 years out of it.. !
jaw hitting floor.gif

You guys don't know what you're talking about ! Anything with "tender" in the name is good !! Battery tender.... chicken tenders.... BARTENDER ! :drinks:

I have 4 of these.
Of course, I bought them before current admin when they were $38.
I can attest to the function. It can "repair" a battery, and it will maintain full charge without constant charge. I have had two of them plugged in for winter storage in non-heated storage in WI for multiple seasons now. They work as intended even in that climate.
Quality product. Offers both clamps and eye-ring perm. bolt on cables, with a detachable portion so if you want to perm-wire the eyes on you can still remove the rest when it is time to boogie.
CTek is a Swedish company. I am not sure everything is made there, but it is not, at least, owned by China.
The one I linked is distributed by a family business in Ill.

I plug this in once in awhile if I don't drive it for a month or so. I drive it way too much to worry about it.
1709989121699.png

I don't deal with batteries well, I never leave home without this, any car. I take it with me just in case me or anyone I bump into needs it. Dead batteries suck and it can happen at anytime to anyone.
1709989724314.png

Mine are perfect and will never burn down the shop! I don't own one......
I am the same way. Too many horror stories of them burning down vehicles, garages or shops. I have never owned one and always make sure I unplug my cordless tools as well before I go in the house.
I just disconnect my batteries in everything if I know I won't be using them for a while in the vehicles, lawn tractor (for the winter), quads, golf cart, enclosed trailer winch battery (for the winter) etc. Never had any issues.
Occasionally, one may need a trickle charge to bring it back after sitting long enough, but then is good after that for the season.

I looked at Amazon to see when I bought my Deltron 4 bank Battery Tender that still works fine today. Ordered Dec 10, 2012.
The price is nearly the same as it was 12 years ago, $184.95 on Amazon.
I ordered it with some 25-foot extension cables to connect multiple vehicles in the shop.

I fully charger my battery, then remove it. The battery resides in the house until driving season. I just drop it in and go. No issues, no dead battery, and it costs nothing.

this is my old faithfull, out lasted 4 battery chargers over the years, still works but kinda shy away from using it, if I do I usually set it on concrete next to car and don't leave the shop. gonna put it in the old shop on display. with some other ancient items, after a light remodel. that will be my new storage and assembly area. possibly a paint booth someday.

20240309_105935.jpg

20240309_105942.jpg

I bought several of the Noco at Interstate. I wired several outlets so I don’t have to run extension cords. I keep the hood open on my pickup so the wife doesn’t back out of the garage with the tender still connected.

I have a trickle charger, 'Battery Tender' brand
on the boat 2 amp max, hard wired in to the battery
plug it in when not using the boat for extended periods
it did a great job for 10 or so years
does like 0.2 amps 'pulses' to maintain after it's fully charged IIRC

I don't even have it plugged in now, boat hasn't been out
for so long, I suspect the battery is junk, fuel needs flushing etc.
cost about $10 a month extra to have it plugged in,
that was before our PG&E electricity rates dbl'd/per klwt usage

in the garage I have a 2/6 amp 6vlt/12vlt trickle charger
110 vlt, plug in type Solar Brand (not the sun type solar)
that both will do AGM batteries, some 20+ years old
bought them from Summit Racing (IIRC),
years before I moved up here, been here for 17+ years now
don't know what origin they are, don't care really
never had an issue with any of them, for 2 decades now...
Now I make sure everything is made in the USA
or I don't/won't buy it...

Used to have (appr. 8-10+ years ago now)
a Schumacher Electric, booster starter pack Lithium pack,
SL14 ? not sure part #, it was a lil' 6"x3" appr. sized pack,
charge by the cig lighter or another battery charger or fully charged battery
I've always been weary of them, since day 1
I've read or heard, seen horror stories "real 1st person accounts, horror stories"
about overcharging, or leaving them plugged in, for too long
& them types of Lithium batteries/chargers/boosters (phones cameras etc.)
batteries overheating, exploding or catching on fire, for no reason
(always kept it outside in my plastic shed, not the garage or cars/trucks)

I'd only carry with me, when ever going on the road or to rescue someone
or on a road trip etc.
www.schumacherelectric.com
www.schumacherelectric.com/categories/jump-starters/
(also have my trusty "annolog" :poke: Husky (home depot) Jumper Cables too)
it was OK
it lasted maybe 10 years, used it maybe 4 times
on my 02 F350 PS 7.3ltr diesel, battery eater, it's been shitcanned since
haven't bought a new one haven't needed it, 'knock on Formica'

Had all these for 20+ years now, the booster box almost 30 years now
don't remember where I got all of them

this 2 amp I use on my Truck, it sits for 2 weeks at a time sometimes
2 up to 6 amp (6 or 12 volt), put it on overnight once a month or so
It has a sensor that allegedly shuts it down when it's charged
to a 0.02amp maintainer trickle
these computer laden cars/trucks batteries don't last long if they aren't driven a lot
Battery chargers & Optima Yellow Top deep Cycle Battery 001.JPG

the bigger 110vlt, plug in Schauer Tri-power 2/12/50 amp has a 50 amp boost,
will charge at 12 amp until you turn the key & bumps up automatically to 50 amp/boost
Battery chargers & Optima Yellow Top deep Cycle Battery 002.JPG

I invested in a good Optima group 34 Deep cycle 800 amp/cold/Yellow top AGM battery for the RR
& a Optima Redtop group 34 in the Dakota, great luck with both style of Optima's, 14+ years in a few cases
I had 1 battery that lasted 24 years, just maintaining it...

Battery chargers & Optima Yellow Top deep Cycle Battery 003.JPG

have a great set of 12' long 00-ga. welding cable rated Jumper Cables
(no photo too lazy to get them out)
Husky brand IIRC, been great for a cheaper brand/s, never failed me yet

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back