• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery tender

Don selleck

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
looking into a new battery tender that lasts (at least for more than a few years) and won't burn down the shop. any one had any luck out there? thanks!

I have (1) of these on each of my cars. Four years and counting since I started using them...

1709915134879.png

IMHO Battery Tender has gone down in quality the past few years. I had one that crapped out on me in a little over a year.

I purchased a NOCO 40g(?) to replace it and LOVE IT. Lots of different modes; repair, maintain, agm, li-ion.

This discussion is about jumper boxes, but there is charger info in there aswell.

looks to be a granite brand I had a similar new one lasted about 6 months not made the same anymore

IMHO Battery Tender has gone down in quality the past few years. I had one that crapped out on me in a little over a year.

I purchased a NOCO 40g(?) to replace it and LOVE IT. Lots of different modes; repair, maintain, agm, li-ion.

This discussion is about jumper boxes, but there is charger info in there aswell.

saw Greg's thread i didnt put it together was thinking jumping it I'm just looking for something to bring the volts up just picked up a new used car and voltage was at 11.7

I've had NOCO for 2 years now, love it.

Genius 2 Charger
GC004 10' Extension Cable
GC002 Quick Disconnect for Battery

All three work perfect.

1709922101085.jpeg

1709922144992.jpeg

1709922256908.jpeg

Sorry to hear that Don, I was not trying to be a smart ***.. but I see SO many guys with extension cords running all over their shop and tenders on every car and one time out of a 100 that is what happens. They boil a battery dry and turn it into a hydrogen bomb.

I throw a charger on each cars battery about once every 3 months... WHILE I'M SITTING IN THE SHOP! It generally takes about 15 minutes before it clicks off at FULL. Unless I forget, I never leave one on if I'm not present.

If you have a vehicle that the battery goes dead in before you use it the next time, there is a reason! Tenders just sulphate them and kill them quicker...

My buddies challenger...
batteryblown.jpg

I throw a charger on each cars battery about once every 3 months... WHILE I'M SITTING IN THE SHOP! It generally takes about 15 minutes before it clicks off at FULL.

What kind of charger do you use for that? I have a couple old 2/10/50's I use when I got a dead battery. The "click off at full" feature sounds appealing...

What kind of charger do you use for that? I have a couple old 2/10/50's I use when I got a dead battery. The "click off at full" feature sounds appealing...
My latest one is a "smart charger". One of the "stupid" ones that won't start charging a dead battery unless you give it a pulse first! LOL I'll grab a shot in a bit..

4 out of 6 of mine are running Odyssey sealed batteries. I've been running those in aircraft for 2 decades. I don't even bother charging my airplane between parking it in September and getting it back out the end of May. It just fires up..

Sorry to hear that Don, I was not trying to be a smart ***.. but I see SO many guys with extension cords running all over their shop and tenders on every car and one time out of a 100 that is what happens. They boil a battery dry and turn it into a hydrogen bomb.

I throw a charger on each cars battery about once every 3 months... WHILE I'M SITTING IN THE SHOP! It generally takes about 15 minutes before it clicks off at FULL. Unless I forget, I never leave one on if I'm not present.

If you have a vehicle that the battery goes dead in before you use it the next time, there is a reason! Tenders just sulphate them and kill them quicker...

My buddies challenger...
View attachment 1624048.
oh I never thought about you being a smartass. appreciate the input. I guess i liked the idea of a trickle charge always thought that was better for a battery. I dont' leave any battery chargers on overnight either. My old tender I had I would just bring the voltage up. and disconnect. then reconnect in the morning if it didn' get it up to 12.4 or more. learned that lesson from a friend:lol:. It worked out for him he had insurance got the check and bought a house in florida after the crash in 08. then over trippled his money now.

Cool, thanks. How do you "give it a pulse", as you put it, to get the thing started?
If a battery is totally dead the newer "smart" chargers won't come to life unless they detect a voltage, so you have to jumper a good battery (or a booster pack) to get it started.

If a battery is totally dead the newer "smart" chargers won't come to life unless they detect a voltage, so you have to jumper a good battery (or a booster pack) to get it started.
ya I had on do that a while back when my other granite tender was working,

well I guess I should be shopping for a good all around charger then

Actually, the NOCO charger I purchased has a "force" mode where if the battery has less than 1V, you can force it to start charging. I have a very dead trolling motor that came with my boat that I am going to try and resurrect.

Auto Transport Service
Back