• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Terminal Choices-Toward Fender or Motor?

Dibbons

Local time
7:19 AM
Reaction score
Maybe it does not matter one way or the other, but I just noticed my Pep Boys battery has the terminal posts on the side facing the engine when installed in my '72 SSP.

I have another battery here where the posts would be closest to the driver's side fender when installed.

In either case, the positive post will be to the rear, of course. I can see in some cases this could be cause for a real problem with cable routing or cable length.Thank you.

Most batteries have both options, depending on the number. For example a group 24 vs. a 24F will look like this:
mtp-24_front.jpg
mtp-24f_front.jpg

Other than the posts, they're the same battery.

My cars all have posts to engine. I just replaced my Ram battery after 14 years and it also has posts toward engine. Hardest part was getting it out, no handle and weighed a ton.

The F is for Ford, their set up is different from Mopes.

IIRC, my early Mustangs were on the passenger side. That was when I had them in the 70's plus the one I kept the longest had the battery in the trunk and my mammary isn't what it used to be.....

While I have everyone's attention, let me throw this out there: Do the posts, terminals, or cables of the Optima type battery ever generate corrosion?

I'm pretty sure that the "F" in 24F does NOT stand for "Ford". I've installed batteries for AAA for 5 years and 24F is a very popular application for a lot of different non Ford cars/trucks. However some Fords do take a 24F.

I believe the "F" stands for flipped. Referring to the terminal positions. 24 would be the same battery as 24F except the terminal positions are reversed. In some cases a 24F could also be referred to a 24R with "R" meaning reversed.

Auto Transport Service
Back