• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beads or static

ESOXER

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
This isn't B-body related, I need new tires on my Wrangler soon. I'm thinking of beads vs stick on weights. I have beads in my Cummins, but no tpms. Should I go with beads and ditch tpms or just do static? I like beads so I don't have to have a rebalance and better on straight axle bearings.
I drive the Wrangler way more than the truck so I don't have long term data on beads.
Thanks.

Guess I'm out of the loop on this. What's beads and 'tpms'?

Guess I'm out of the loop on this. What's beads and 'tpms'?
Old timer! Lol. Balance beads, usually made of ceramic are dumped in between the tire and rim, depending on tire size there is a certain weight of them, they balance the tire to the rim when it spins. TPMS- Tire pressure management system. Basically tells you when air pressure is low.

I use beads on my Powerwagon but that’s a 78 with no tpms. They work great….85mph on thruway and no shaking, smooth as glass.

Old timer! Lol. Balance beads, usually made of ceramic are dumped in between the tire and rim, depending on tire size there is a certain weight of them, they balance the tire to the rim when it spins. TPMS- Tire pressure management system. Basically tells you when air pressure is low.

@ESOXER Thinking about it, I've heard of the beads but didn't know they were still around. Thought they were a gimmick and died out and the tpms makes sense. Didn't put it together. Lots of the newer cars have it. Heck, I'm still driving stuff from the mid 90's lol

beads are fine but you need to air up with no moisture or in cold weather you can get a spinning lump,never heard of it used on a car,lots of highway trucks used it!

Auto Transport Service
Back