• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been listening to Frank Zappa this morning.

I listened to a live version of “Billy was a Mountain” on the way back from Arkansas last month. It was played on my trucks’ cassette player that only sounds good playing in one direction. That killed a half hour of drive time and probably a few brain cells too. “Calling all Vegetables” was next and next thing I knew I was in another State. Flo & Eddie of the Turtles fame were back up singers.

We’ll this topic sure brought us some great memories!

09441143-D862-495F-A097-19DEC784AC3A.jpeg

Lots of memories there. Huge fan in my youth and still am today. I saw him twice in the early 80s, and also in 87 or 88 when he last toured. The night I went on his last tour, Sting came on stage and did Murder by Numbers with Zappas band. That later appeared on his Broadway the Hardway album.
His pushing boundaries turned heads. One time in college I gave a fellow student, who was an Iranian immigrant, a lift back to campus after break. I had Zappa playing on my cassette player for the trip back. A few days later in the cafeteria he’s talking about me telling people I listen to some weird music!
Another time, years later, I’m drinking beer downstairs listening to Zoot Allures, and my roommate is up in his bedroom with his girlfriend. Torture never stops starts playing with the girl loudly moaning tracks and he starts pounding on the floor and yelling “what’s going on down there!!

I just learned there many likeminded freaks like me on this forum! ruffcut

I read a book about Zappa and what I remember is Frank’s Father would bring home from work Mercury for Frank to play with. The son would use a hammer to smash it and his bedroom became caked with Mercury everywhere!

Hard to believe but Frank didn’t do or like drugs and didn’t stay at the same motel as the band members while on tour.

He did like female of all ages.

Frank was **** about the recording process of his music and over dubbed guitar soles from other recording if they sounded or fit in better.

It was a thick book, very detailed and even mentioned Alice Cooper and that band being so raucous and bizarre that audience members were running for the exit doors.

Great music mind, left us way too early. But maybe not: Frank would have been banned and cancelled in this pussy-age we live in today. Broken hearts are for a$$holes.

I used to listen to the Mother's in 1968 and 1969
WBRU out of Providence RI

This about summed it up for me:

OIP.tb99COkPFo4NEib5M0L1JwHaKo.jpeg

Total CRAP and as a young kid I fell for it...,.
Susie...Susie Creamcheese...were interested in your development...

Certainly didn't have the talent that Jeff Lynne has... (ELO)

Another "rake"

Captain Beefheart and Trout Mask Replica.....

OIP.T9XJoRmndBRSPsLSNcJoRAEsEs.jpeg

I used to listen to the Mother's in 1968 and 1969
WBRU out of Providence RI

This about summed it up for me:

View attachment 1239777

Total CRAP and as a young kid I fell for it...,.
Susie...Susie Creamcheese...were interested in your development...

Certainly didn't have the talent that Jeff Lynne has... (ELO)

Another "rake"

Captain Beefheart and Trout Mask Replica.....

View attachment 1239779

I guess you fall into the "hate him" category.

But Jeff Lynne doesn't hold a candle to Frank. Not remotely in the same league. Easily the most inventive guy in rock and roll. Legendary iconoclast. First guy to use video to record movies. First Amendment defender. Classical music composer. Heck he even played the bicycle on the Steve Allen show:

Great idea! Do you remember:

"It Looks Just Like A Telefunken U47!"

In the song "Crew ****" on Joe's Garage.

All 3 acts of Joe's Garage are the best of Zappa! If people remember, I used to have Zappa as my avatar?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FIzwBz.jpg

Hey there people
I'm Bobby Brown
They say that I'm
the cutest boy in town
My car is fast
My teeth are shiny
I tell all the girls
they can kiss my hennie

Here I am
at a famous school
I'm dressin sharp
and actin cool
got a cheerleader here
wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work
and maybe later
I'll rape her

Women's liberation
came creepin all across
the nation
I'll tell you people
I was not ready
When I fucked this dyke
By the name of Freddie

She made a little speech then
All she tried to make me say when
She had my balls in a vice
But she left my dick
I guess it's still hooked on
But now I shoot to quick

I can take about a hour
On the Tower of Power
As long as I gets
A little Golden shower
Just fantastic lyrics from a master song writer!!!
Bobby Brown Goes Down - YouTube

Remember? Broken hearts are for ********!
Ram it ram it ram it
Ram it up your poop chute
Don't fool yourself girl
It's going right up
Your poop chute
Broken Hearts Are For ******** - YouTube

And another work of art by the Master!
Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops - YouTube

Here is what you Zappa fans need:

Frank Zappa’s Halloween 1981 Gigs Focus of New Box Set

6-CD Halloween 81 features three complete gigs from guitarist’s four-night, five-gig stand at New York’s Palladium

81p5uaXGJTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But Jeff Lynne doesn't hold a candle to Frank. Not remotely in the same league. Easily the most inventive guy in rock and roll. Legendary iconoclast. First guy to use video to record movies. First Amendment defender. Classical music composer. Heck he even played the bicycle on the Steve Allen show:

Nah,
Clever guy...I respected him....
Crying out loud, he was a real Musician...
He played so many instruments
His Chunga's Revenge and his Weasel's Ripped my flesh were truly my Favs
but yeah, the Mother's of invention they were "only in it for the money"
Gee:
I think Frank hung around with a couple of Carnegie hall musician types
I think he really loved Classical Music but with the birth of the Mother's in 1966, he got caught up in the hippie scene (So Cal)

OIP.vWznLSE9gMccTag3_llTTQHaHa.jpeg

All 3 acts of Joe's Garage are the best of Zappa! If people remember, I used to have Zappa as my avatar?

View attachment 1239788

Hey there people
I'm Bobby Brown
They say that I'm
the cutest boy in town
My car is fast
My teeth are shiny
I tell all the girls
they can kiss my hennie

Here I am
at a famous school
I'm dressin sharp
and actin cool
got a cheerleader here
wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work
and maybe later
I'll rape her

Women's liberation
came creepin all across
the nation
I'll tell you people
I was not ready
When I fucked this dyke
By the name of Freddie

She made a little speech then
All she tried to make me say when
She had my balls in a vice
But she left my dick
I guess it's still hooked on
But now I shoot to quick

I can take about a hour
On the Tower of Power
As long as I gets
A little Golden shower
Just fantastic lyrics from a master song writer!!!
Bobby Brown Goes Down - YouTube

Remember? Broken hearts are for ********!
Ram it ram it ram it
Ram it up your poop chute
Don't fool yourself girl
It's going right up
Your poop chute
Broken Hearts Are For ******** - YouTube

And another work of art by the Master!
Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops - YouTube

raw.gif

Probably one of the most intelligent musicians....

:thumbsup:

April of '68 I was standing in the back of the Fillmore East watching the James Cotton Blues Band and chatting with some freaky looking guy with long wavy hair. I had no idea who he was but I was a drummer and he was a drummer so we talked a short time about music. Turned out it was Jimmy Carl Blank, 'The Indian of the Group'. Cool guy.

Black.jpg

Low time for me in the mid 90's, getting divorced.... I had this little dog everyone liked ( Westie) and when I said I was moving away, my friends would all joke and tell me to move to Montana and grow dental flause with my pygmy pony ( my dog, Rodman).. LOL.. had to be there, but it certainly would lighten up things,,

Auto Transport Service
Back