• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Behind glove box, what is it...

iowaguy

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
....and what does it do?

Helping my son straighten out the under dash wiring on his '67 Charger.

IMG_1572.PNG

That is the controller for the dash lights. They use high voltage electroluminiscent lighting and don't use bulbs so that little box sends the voltage to the gauges.

Electroluminescent power pack, it puts out 250 volts AC current, watch out! The wire’s are white with red plastic covers on the ends. All other plastic covers for connections in the car are black.

East to test really. Set your voltmeter to C. White wire should have 200 VAC or better with nothing connected.

If your dash gauges are not working properly, good chance this power pack is not working properly. Test it as stated prior. If you need to fix, an easy fix if you have the right stuff otherwise Skatpak on here fixes them and the gauges too.

....and what does it do?

Helping my son straighten out the under dash wiring on his '67 Charger.

View attachment 1402816
Yes it will give you a little shock but that way you know it's working :) The dash lights on a 66 and 67 Charger can be a Pain. They are like old Christmas tree lights. If one gauge or the radio or console lights go out it all goes out. Been fighting it for 2 years now. Had my gauges restored and they all work fine but still no Dash Lights. Human error on my part I'm sure. Good Luck

I read somewhere - maybe an Imperial site - to first verify the power pack is putting out 200-250 vAC with nothing plugged in on the output side. This will require a jumper or two, as the dash frame is the ground. Then, plug in one white (output) wire at a time with a jumper wire. If it lights, it's good. 66 had the console, radio, and gauges, including the needles.

Auto Transport Service
Back