• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bellhousing Painting

1969 beep beep

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
I stripped my paint off my bell housing. I found some small amounts of rust under the paint.

What type of blasting is required to properly clean the cast iron?

Any recommendations for primer.

Thanks

I like to blast cast iron with sand or glass grit. But...

if you prime with rustoleum you don’t have to clean all of the rust off. In fact, it works better if there is a bit of rust. Just no scale or flakes. Wire brush it after degreasing with solvent and prime. Don’t use rustoleum on shiny unrusted metal, it doesn’t work well.

I wouldn't worry about "small" amounts. Clean it up with a wire brush. Use a "self etch" primer and the acid in the primer will neutralize the minor rust. You could wash it with "metal prep" first, that stuff will definitely neutralize any minor rust. Wipe it on and let it dry - do not rinse.

That’s what I am working with.
F1CBAC7B-2A46-40C6-AA4F-4281F8CB7AF4.jpeg
4C271E30-B54E-41FB-B04B-A8B01258214F.jpeg

That looks pretty good. If you blast it be sure to plug all of the holes with tape or scrap bolts. Don’t use good bolts as you are going to wreck the threads blasting.
You don’t need to blast until it is perfectly shiny, what we used to call a sugar cube blast. I would just brush blast it to remove any paint and loose scale and then prime. What you want, besides clean metal, is what is called “tooth”, a slightly rough surface for the primer to bite into. Blast at about a forty five degree angle.

Auto Transport Service
Back