• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bellhousing question for my 512 stroker build

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:57 PM
Reaction score
I am in the midst of a 512" stroker build for my 69 Charger RT. As I begin working through ordering parts etc, Do those of you in the know suggest a steel bellhousing? I.e Lakewood? The engine is projected to put out north of 600Hp, but will not ever or at least minimally ever see the drag strip and likely never slicks, just a street beast cruiser. My second question is, what size flywheel is stock on the 440? When I entered my selection for a Centerforce clutch/plate from Summit, the one that appeared to be correct for my application, alerted as it would not fit my car. I contacted Centerforce and they suggested it likely requires a different bellhousing for a larger flywheel??. The clutch/plate set up I was about to order is #DF071800
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.
Thank you

Your car would have originally came with a 11 inch 143 tooth flywheel. For 600 hp, you should probably look into a McLeod dual disc setup. The Centerforce is nice, but I think only rated to 525 or 550hp. I went through the same thing on my stroker build. Both Brewer's and Passon recommended the McLeod. I run stock cast bellhousings on my cars, but they will never have sticky tires on them.

Are you running an A833? The bellhousing options are different for different transmissions. I have a Lakewood that was professionally modified for a tko600. Since it was modified, I assume that it wouldn’t fit a tko originally. I’m sure the modification probably voids any certification for use but that sounds like it wouldn’t be an issue for you either.

Cast iron flywheels (develop cracks) and excess clutch pressure are what creates the danger the requires a blow proof BH.
If you put in a clutch with centrifugal assist at high RPMs it can get dangerous real fast.
I think the dual disk clutches have less spring pressure so that’s a factor.
But an aftermarket steel or aluminum flywheel is a must.

My son just bought a Lakewood aluminum bell housing it has provisions for both 143 tooth and the 130 tooth and it has inserts to allow a tremec a A833 and something else. Very GM kind of one size fits all, which is kind of nice. I agree cast iron and high rpm are not great. Steel flywheel is the way to go unless your car is a gutted lightweight.

Auto Transport Service
Back