• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belvedere GTX

67GTX440

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Is 67 the only year that linked the GTX and Belvedere names? From 68 on was the car considered a GTX only? Was the Roadrunner ever associated in name with another Plymouth name?
IMG_20180321_135652526.jpg

Actually I have an original 1970 side stripe kit that says Belvedere GTX on it.
20180321_160256.jpg

the satelite was a higher trim level and the belvedere and gtx in 67 . but 68 on the sat and gtx were the same level . this is how i see them . gto's were offered in both tempest and lemans trim levels as other gm models . which was the competition . chrysler was playing catch up in the letters game . it seem weird that from the letter car chryslers . factory hot rods were one step back of the other factory hot rods .

How was the Satellite a higher trim level than the GTX in 1967?

more trim around the car , better interior , ect...satellites trim level was standard , and belverdere was optioned .
1967-Plymouth-Satellite-american-classics--Car-100882400-1c6923305dc0fd2ef63a34621a6b3424.jpg
1967-Plymouth-Satellite-american-classics--Car-100930031-6477d2437d87e8ff281981aee6daee3b.jpg
1967-Plymouth-Satellite-american-classics--Car-100944088-31f129158545bd9d9c3b928de09ffdb9.jpg
9139816-1967-plymouth-belvedere-thumb-c.jpg
10792053-1967-plymouth-belvedere-thumb-c.jpg
10827152-1967-plymouth-belvedere-thumb-c.jpg
download.jpg
images.jpg

i have had both a 66 satellite commando 4spd and a 67 gtx belverdere 4spd cars . lov'd them both . but i was a kid then . cut them both up to get racey . still wish i had them today , but wish in one hand and sh.....t , well that was then . lol .

Yes, Satellite had a trim strip around the belt line and two tone paint option. GTX had hood scoops, chrome exhaust tips, flip top gas filler and race stripe option. Inside I don't know of any differences except GTX emblems replaced Satellite emblems and of course the 150 mph speedo.

Interesting stuff. As far as I know in 1970...."basically" (many options available)
a. Belvedere = small motor, lowest trim level
b. Satellite = bigger motor, highest trim level....Sport Satellite up to a 383 engine
c. Road Runner = really big motors, lowest trim level
d. GTX = really big motors, highest trim level

And for the original poster..... I think it was 72 (?) that GTX's were called "Road Runner GTX" if I recall correctly and I think that was the last year for a GTX

67 GTX also had the Satellite interior with cowboy trim buckets and fiberglass rear header panel. Belvederes did not get that interior other than GTX.

Don't really know or understand why Plymouth associated the Belvedere line with the GTX in 67. The GTX was it's own series I believe, as distinguished by it's VIN coding. I do not believe the GTX was a package option under the Belvedere line - but maybe someone can verify or correct this. I suspect the beltline trim and half wheel well trim was so specific and distinguishing to the Satellite that it didn't make sense to code the GTX as a Satellite GTX since it didn't utilize it. The lack of this particular piece of specialized trim probably associated it closer to the Belvedere II side trim with optional rocker molding and full wheel well moldings. But then they added the Satellite grill, tail (except different argent paint) panels, lights, hood scoops, fuel filler, exhaust extensions, etc. Who knows?

i agree the 67 gtx is an oddity . but its cool in its own right . the gtx was standard with a hp440 . the bel hp motors had to be ordered in it . to me it is set apart from the rest of the model line as it own beast . those scoops are the first and last of them . no others used them . wish i still had mine . i'll build one some day , i've got some parts waiting for my next 4spd one .

GTX was promoted as the gentleman's musclecar. Power+comforts and chrome.

What I find interesting is the that it was under Chrysler entry level make.
Plymouth did a great job selling the RoadRunner and GTX compared to their Super Bee and R/T stepsiblings.

Was the Roadrunner ever associated in name with another Plymouth name?View attachment 585596
Superbird[/QUOTE]

I believe for a couple of years around 72, 73 and maybe 74, GTX was an optional package level on the Roadrunner. And after 74 the Roadrunner name was really bastardized and placed on a couple of pretty undistinguished models.

Don't really know or understand why Plymouth associated the Belvedere line with the GTX in 67. The GTX was it's own series I believe, as distinguished by it's VIN coding. I do not believe the GTX was a package option under the Belvedere line - but maybe someone can verify or correct this. I suspect the beltline trim and half wheel well trim was so specific and distinguishing to the Satellite that it didn't make sense to code the GTX as a Satellite GTX since it didn't utilize it. The lack of this particular piece of specialized trim probably associated it closer to the Belvedere II side trim with optional rocker molding and full wheel well moldings. But then they added the Satellite grill, tail (except different argent paint) panels, lights, hood scoops, fuel filler, exhaust extensions, etc. Who knows?

Wasn't it all based on the shared frame rails/body panels and everything else was just a different trim level? That was always my understanding of the relationship between the Belvedere/Satellite/Sport Satellite/GTX/Roadrunner.

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 7.21.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 7.22.54 PM.png

Yes, all the same body/frame platform.

The Plymouth B body (and some crossover from C) "universe" timeline is somewhat confusing to those not immersed in it.

64 Fury and Sport Fury- B body and top of the line trim 65 Fury- C body
65 Satellite- top of the line B body trim level, then Belvedere II, then I
66/67 Satellite (RP)- again top of line followed by Bel II (RH) and I (RL), Intro GTX (RS)
68-70 Sport Satellite (RP)- top of line (largest engine 383-4), followed by Satellite (RH) and then Belvedere (RL). Intro Road Runner (RM)
71-74- Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)- top of the line followed by Satellite Sebring (RH) and then Satellite (RL), no more Belvedere.
72 GTX becomes option on RR (RM) if 440 selected, smallest RR engine 340
73 318-2 available in RR (RM)

I did leave out RE class.....and cop and taxis

Try explaining this to a chevy guy!
(most of them can't even keep chevy II/nova and chevelle/malibu straight)

The Plymouth B body (and some crossover from C) "universe" timeline is somewhat confusing to those not immersed in it.

64 Fury and Sport Fury- B body and top of the line trim 65 Fury- C body
65 Satellite- top of the line B body trim level, then Belvedere II, then I
66/67 Satellite (RP)- again top of line followed by Bel II (RH) and I (RL), Intro GTX (RS)
68-70 Sport Satellite (RP)- top of line (largest engine 383-4), followed by Satellite (RH) and then Belvedere (RL). Intro Road Runner (RM)
71-74- Satellite Sebring Plus (RP)- top of the line followed by Satellite Sebring (RH) and then Satellite (RL), no more Belvedere.
72 GTX becomes option on RR (RM) if 440 selected, smallest RR engine 340
73 318-2 available in RR (RM)

I did leave out RE class.....and cop and taxis

Try explaining this to a chevy guy!
(most of them can't even keep chevy II/nova and chevelle/malibu straight)

You guys ain`t gonna believe this, but, I had a friend that bought a brand new, off the showroom floor, 1966 chevy 11 , w/ a 365 horse, 4 speed, 327 in it. It had a circled black roadrunner decal on the front fender, about 7" in diameter. The dealer told him it came that way ! I saw it in person. The car was pretty much uncontrollable on the tires of the day ! ??????????????

Auto Transport Service
Back