• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendable wire loom holders/hold downs.

Pool Fixer

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi, having a hell of a time finding out what these are even called. As far as I can tell they are welded to the firewall and my non stock different year 440 valve covers on my 68 charger. Looks like they are welded in the middle and you pinch the ears around your wire looms. I want to mount some to my aftermarket’s plain cast aluminim valve covers that I’m painting engine color.

The firewall ones are larger and I’d like to mount a set to my new valve covers to hold the extra wiring I’ve added for larger alt and efi.

Need to know what they are called and if they are reproduced.

D1ADB0AD-55F8-4105-B7CA-4CCFA2764343.jpeg

4CB73D6D-6255-430A-A2F7-27B8CF955395.jpeg

I don't weld so to attach these to a valve cover I'm looking for suggestions. I got the summitt cast covers and they are very thick aluminum. Is it totally batshit crazy to drill and tap for a small machine screw to thread in?

clearly this isn't a stock car but i like it to sort of have those touches hence wanting these kinds of wire holders but bot caring how I attach them. Even if I took them to a welder, is it possible to weld regular metal strips to cast aluminum?

I don't weld so to attach these to a valve cover I'm looking for suggestions. I got the summitt cast covers and they are very thick aluminum. Is it totally batshit crazy to drill and tap for a small machine screw to thread in?

clearly this isn't a stock car but i like it to sort of have those touches hence wanting these kinds of wire holders but bot caring how I attach them. Even if I took them to a welder, is it possible to weld regular metal strips to cast aluminum?
You could do that.

Put a little dab of thread sealer on the screws, that should prevent any oil from weeping out. It should work, I have the same V covers on my motor, they are pretty thick.

Put a little dab of thread sealer on the screws, that should prevent any oil from weeping out. It should work, I have the same V covers on my motor, they are pretty thick.
How do you like them? What heads? Allegedly I may have to drill the holes out on an angle?

How do you like them? What heads? Allegedly I may have to drill the holes out on an angle?
I bought the tall covers because I went with full roller rockers, they look good and fit very well. This pic is right after I dropped the motor in.

IMG_20221003_191713183.jpg

I test fit today and the bolt holes in the heads are indeed drilled a few degrees toward vertical and not straight out of the head. Here it is with some studs I had laying around but you can clearly see the angle of the studs vs the valve cover

F629E6A3-C116-42E1-A698-751D55996541.jpeg

A35F0512-709D-44DD-B655-B69FE8FC9BBB.jpeg

I would try JB Weld or panel bond adhesive before drilling through the valve covers…

I test fit today and the bolt holes in the heads are indeed drilled a few degrees toward vertical and not straight out of the head. Here it is with some studs I had laying around but you can clearly see the angle of the studs vs the valve cover

View attachment 1441066

View attachment 1441067
That's odd, are you sure the holes in the heads weren't repaired and re-tapped at an angle? It doesn't' make sense that they would be that way from the factory. Regardless of the fastener type, it won't seat correctly, and they will weep oil.

That's odd, are you sure the holes in the heads weren't repaired and re-tapped at an angle? It doesn't' make sense that they would be that way from the factory. Regardless of the fastener type, it won't seat correctly, and they will weep oil.
That's how it is.. Saw that years ago..

I’ve always run stamped stock covers so I never noticed. I would never checked these but when researching covers, I read it on the 440 source website. They go as far as to tell you to install the studs and bend them so the angle matches.

I don’t plan on doing that.

I’ve abandoned the plan to drill/weld/tap these for wire harness clips. Ill just double nut some kind of metal plastidipped abortions to slide over the valve cover studs

I’ve always run stamped stock covers so I never noticed. I would never checked these but when researching covers, I read it on the 440 source website. They go as far as to tell you to install the studs and bend them so the angle matches.

I don’t plan on doing that.

I’ve abandoned the plan to drill/weld/tap these for wire harness clips. Ill just double nut some kind of metal plastidipped abortions to slide over the valve cover studs
Wow, I never knew they were like that. I don't blame ya, think I would end up doing the same thing. Fab something up that works.

Auto Transport Service
Back