• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best 14" tires? Cooper, Mastercraft, BFG, General, or???

Big Bad Dad

Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, both of my Mopars have been mostly setting for the last several years while life kept me busy. Now that I have retired, I want to take them out to drive more often. Both have low mileage tires that look to be perfect, but are 18 and 19 years old. The 67 Coronet currently has 14x6 road wheels with BFG Radial TAs, so I will want to go with P225/70 R14 tires. The 64 Fury currently has 14x5-1/2 magnum 500s with Goodyears, so will need P215/70 R14 tires. (I hate removing good tires, but the stories on here about age and failures has me worried about driving on them.) I would like to hear your recommendations about what you have and what problems you may have had with them. I have used Cooper Cobra tires on my Ford Ranger with 225/70R14" tires, and am currently running General Altimas on it. Either tire has been fine. I see that the Mastercraft tire brand is also made by Cooper, and is much cheaper to purchase. I like the looks of BFG, but they are pricier, and these stories about brown letters worries me. So let me know your opinions and experience! Thanks. BBD

DSC01668.JPG

I've had a few failures with Radial T/A's. Better luck with Coopers.

If you don’t want white letters, and want a really good cheap tire, Ohtsu. I have them on a 280zx, and I’m really happy with them

My other 2 cars have Cooper cobras and I’m happy with them.

I have had multiple failures on BF Goodrich radial TA's from sitting. At least 8 in the last year. Also 2 failures on Good Year Eagles. Agreed they were all older and looked good, but blew out sitting still. I'm very glad I wasn't driving on them. I have switched to Cooper's on everything that given trouble. I still have some older Cooper's that seem to still be OK. I will let the forum know if any of the Cooper's go bad.

I just bought 4 Cooper GT's last month for my Road Runner. Black wall out. I'm done with BFG's.
Compare the prices. My tires age out anyways.

Been very happy with cooper cobra tires.

20220203_201515.jpg

20220203_201508.jpg

Cooper cobra for the win! Multiple sets, one set from the 90’s and still fine. Have not heard of failures on these coopers. 225/70/14 255/60/15

BFG = basically friggin garbage. very poor wet traction.
I know 2 people had them blow on the freeway and damage the car, spun out and took off the whole side.

I have a set of mastercraft avenger GT. Ride nice and smooth. Haven’t been on rain yet. 225/70/14

Walmart sells 14” & 15” tires, don’t discount them. I had a blowout with a Cobra tire that was the age of yours. A new set is the away to go.

I've got BFG's and very disappointed with the brown letters although certain sizes seem to be affected more than others. My 245 rears have gone brown but the 225 fronts are ok.
I got caught in a rainstorm coming home from the drags one nights. Wet traction was good in a straight line on the freeway and horrendous coming around slower speed corners near home. It was like driving on ice.
20220921_055718.jpg

I've got BFG's and very disappointed with the brown letters although certain sizes seem to be affected more than others. My 245 rears have gone brown but the 225 fronts are ok.
I got caught in a rainstorm coming home from the drags one nights. Wet traction was good in a straight line on the freeway and horrendous coming around slower speed corners near home. It was like driving on ice.
View attachment 1345892
Beautiful car. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1345892
Wouldn’t you have a slipperier situation when you have a heavy downpour on hot tarmac?

Had BFG TA Radials on my car that were due for replacement. Decided to put Cooper's on my 66 Charger this spring. They have much deeper tread than the BFG's had when new. Also read on this and other forums of quality issues with the TA radials recently. Also seem to handle better.
IMG_7651.JPG

I used Mastercraft, a Cooper-made tire for many years. Coopers are American made and HQ in Ohio... I would recommend Coopers or Mastercraft.

I'm looking at Milestar 255/70/15 tires (14 much the same) as they look a lot like Goodyear Polyglass tires. Looking for that square edge. Coopers do too, BF Goodrich don't

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 9.30.05 PM.png

I’ve been running V rated 235/60-15 Vitour Galaxy R1 tires for a year now. Took my BFGs off. Vitour letters stay white. So far so good. Like the tires. I believe Vitour tires are also available in 14”.

Great to hear all the feedback here. Does anyone have an experience with Mastercraft Avenger GTs (Made By Cooper), Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, or the Hankook Kinergy GTs?

Great to hear all the feedback here. Does anyone have an experience with Mastercraft Avenger GTs (Made By Cooper), Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, or the Hankook Kinergy GTs?
I bought a set of Cooper Cobras for my 64 Fury last week. I had also researched the Mastercraft Avengers and was interested in them. However, the ones I needed were not available. They were on "backorder", and the tire guy could not say when they would be available again. I have driven the car a few miles now on the Coopers, and am very happy with them. (215/70R14s )

I bought a set of Cooper Cobras for my 64 Fury last week. I had also researched the Mastercraft Avengers and was interested in them. However, the ones I needed were not available. They were on "backorder", and the tire guy could not say when they would be available again. I have driven the car a few miles now on the Coopers, and am very happy with them. (215/70R14s )
Do you know if Cooper cobras are available in a 275 60 r15?

Auto Transport Service
Back