• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Gravy

I have to say my Wife, not because it is... but I have to say it!

My wife Submit, makes the best turkey and pot roast gravy. Her mother always used (and still uses) packaged gravy, but she learned from my mother how to make it and improved on it.

Packaged gravy is ....

1713893079526.png

It depends on what the entre is going to be. Personally, I make the best Pot Roast Gravy from scratch. Oh...with mushrooms to boot!!! cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

A proper gravy is made from the juices in the pan after the meat has been cooked.

Add in some water from the potatoes or other vegetables that have been boiled, and season to taste.... gradually bring to the boil and reduce until consistency is right. A tablespoon of flour or cornflour may be required for thickening....not too much or you'll have meat-flavoured dough.

Use a fork or whisk to carry out this process...and run through a sieve to pour into a suitable tableware jug for serving.

A proper gravy is made from the juices in the pan after the meat has been cooked.

Add in some water from the potatoes or other vegetables that have been boiled, and season to taste.... gradually bring to the boil and reduce until consistency is right. A tablespoon of flour or cornflour may be required for thickening (*a rue) ....not too much or you'll have meat-flavoured dough.

Use a fork or whisk to carry out this process...and run through a sieve to pour into a suitable tableware jug for serving.
:thankyou:

And/or a lil' cornstarch (corn flour) is what it's called here
&/or a *rue (spelling ?) from flour
(*hot water/or drippings & enriched flour mix rapidly, like a heaping tablespoon or so
I use a jar & a lid, shake vigorously, then add that mix to pan & fork stir vigorously
into the rest of the drippings, over heat & you get a great gravy, with the meats flavor
)
works very well especially with drippings too
don't go crazy on the cornstarch it will almost go to gelatin form
as it cools

I add some ( a teaspoon or so) seasons mix I make it's equal parts
I keep in a big shaker in the cabinet always, for cooking
Lemon pepper, sea salt, garlic powder or minced/dried, minced onions, Italian seasoning
I do a spicey one too for certain meals, same deal as above just add dark chile' powder

:luvplace:

Last edited:
Gravy that turns to Jello when cold because it's made the old school way. MMMMMM!

My better half's.
Pork chop gravy.
Fry bone in chops in cast iron skillet.
Pull the chops, add flour, add little milk , black pepper, little black coffee, mabey a bit more flour, more pepper and some salt.
Dump it on the mashed taters :thumbsup:

That's where I went wrong! I've been running it down my sleeve. :rolleyes:

Gravy is made by making a roux out of flour and fat. Usually the pan drippings. The flour is cooked until pasty and slightly brown. You can also cook it for much longer for a deeper flavor of roux. if you just thicken your gravy with cornstarch and water or flour and water without making the roux, it will taste like paste. I believe the fat to flour ration is 1 tablespoon fat to 2 tablespoons flour

Make your roux and then add the potato water, milk, stock, whatever you like. Whisk that and bring slowly to a slight boil until it reaches the consistency you like.

We eat the brown goo made from fat drippings and flour about twice a year, REAL gravy is much more common here! :D :D :D

dtghk.jpg

fyghk.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back