• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best place for a detailed VIN Check... Suggestions?

MykeNytemare

Local time
2:24 AM
Reaction score
Looking to find info on my car that was issued a new VIN years ago after being a stolen recovery in Illinois. Hoping to reach out to the first owner of the re-vined car to get a little more info. Maybe even find out from the State Police what happened to the fender tag.

Any suggestions or experience checking a cars history would be appreciated.

do you have it insured if so call your insurance company for some back ground info some times they can help you ,had a friend that went that route and they were a big help :thinker:

If the car had the new VIN after you assumed ownership (meaning it had the old one when you got it), you should nave no problems with your state authority, whether they be the Tax Commission, DMV, or whatever your State calls it. You will have to show documentation that YOU actually owned the car, by providing a copy of a title, old registrations, or perhaps a bill of sale (a BoS is not recognized ownership or proof of sale in all states, BTW!). Insurance companies are also authorized access to this info, so the above comment is definitely valid.

Hopefully it's not like Ohio because I couldn't get anyone to help me track mine down. Good luck

Looking to find info on my car that was issued a new VIN years ago after being a stolen recovery in Illinois. Hoping to reach out to the first owner of the re-vined car to get a little more info. Maybe even find out from the State Police what happened to the fender tag.

Any suggestions or experience checking a cars history would be appreciated.

your going to need the original vin to do any tracking, Doubt any help with fendertag as the cops have no data base for that. IF...you get the original vin, the chrysler historical society may have info on that..they did on my 67 R/T..got alot of documentation and was able to get a replacement fendertag made

I don't see any way to find the original VIN info unless I trace this vin back as far as I go and see where I go from there.

pull up the seats, maybe you'll get lucky and there might be an original broadcast sheet under there, I had 2 in mine still after 40 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back