• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to mount a radio in the glove box of my 71 satellite ?

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to mount a radio in my glove box. I can't access it right at the moment as it is at a friends where we are rebuilding the Transmission. I have a power antenna I want to install, which got me thinking (actually it just reminded me) that my radio only works on one station at the moment. I'd actually like to have MP3 ability and a bluetooth or USB capable radio would be the best option. I don't want to mess with the visible dash, so as many people do, I am thinking of mounting it in the glove box. What suggestions can you give me? Is the box it self removable? I believe a friends 69 GTX was cardboard, but I can't be sure that I recall correctly. Thank you for your input.

min ewas also carboard, i would say it is too, there is a few screws that hold them in, I would make up a bracket out of metal or wood that you can screw in, from behind the carboard and cut a hole in the carboard for the fascia to come through, or go crazy and build entire new glove box insert with mount in it. imagination is key

As another option, check out http://www.woodradios.com/
They convert your stock radio to am/fm , with mp3, cd and even satellite inputs. Ive seen and heard the finished radios in a car, awesome sound and power, and the best thing is the radio still looks stock

In 71 they changed the glove box from cardboard to plastic. Getting your radio converted like daytona71 said is your best bet with altering the dash.

I have rebuilt the card board box with fiberglass and some ply before and made a small shelf for maps and pair of glasses.... on the '67 coronet I'm doing now I have bought a dash cluster and trim piece off ebay... had the Speedometer sent out and redone have an 8 track player 're done and ready to install had my old tapes sent out and anytime they are coming in. And a Rockford fosgate punch 150 that's been tested all old skool stuff... I thought about another glove box CD player.... but when I found another dash to play with I have a voltage meter married to the amp meter also. My original cluster will also be sent out to be conditioned and put away in storage..... I keep all the original parts to put back some day if need be and play with eBay junk.... I never built a car from 100% computer before... so that was one challenge and to learn the computer and all that goes with it.... like above imagination is the key.... thin ply fiberglass make templates out of card board.... gelcoat the thing and it will last for ever make some kick panels while your at it save the old door cards and 're make them from the thin ply and use a matching set of extra back seat covers to cover them was another idea I have for mine..

Uhhh... Cost is a concern. Those conversions look sweet, but I'm not able to sink a lot into this. I was thinking 50-100 for a stero from walmart or the local electronics wholesaler. So the glove box is not cardboard? Plastic eh? Hmmm

Clear plastic.... useing it as a template I would try building a box from lexan and some 2 part clear epoxy or some thing simular or strips of pvc lumber and pvc cement to keep with the theme... for an idea. Keep the original untouched

next question. How do I get the original glove box out without removing the whole dash... or is it even possible?

On those years maybe the whole dash... and/ or the windshield unfortunately... there has to be a cheater trick to it though... 71- 74 were tricky and I can't remember exactly.....

Don't buy a piece of crap radio from walmart, it will sound like shyte on a stick, I don't care if it has usb or yellow tooth, go on craigs and buy you a $2-$300 radio for $15 to $40, in the past year I've bought several high end Alpines and Sony Explodes for less than $40, most averaging $20. Sound quality will be waaaaaay better. Buy a walmart radio and you might as well have just sang to yourself old Madonna songs...lol

Got a center console, I made a bracket for mine, so I didn't cut up the dash or the console, check out my build thread, post 80-81

Last edited:
71B had a black plastic box. 72-4 is clear. It is strong enough to mount brackets and such to for a deck. Open the door and remove the screws around the opening and the box falls right out the back of the dash and then can bench mount the unit.

On those years maybe the whole dash... and/ or the windshield unfortunately... there has to be a cheater trick to it though... 71- 74 were tricky and I can't remember exactly.....

- - - Updated - - -

71B had a black plastic box. 72-4 is clear. It is strong enough to mount brackets and such to for a deck. Open the door and remove the screws around the opening and the box falls right out the back of the dash and then can bench mount the unit.

I figure you don't want it seen since you want to put it in the glove box but I remember on my 73 there are two holes to the bottom right of the steering wheel, under the stock radio, you can screw in a radio bracket. If you use rubber washers you won't tear up the dash and it can easily be removed any time plus you are right in front of the wiring harness. The only downside I remember to this is that I sometimes hit my knee on it. Just an idea.

Mount it in the trunk and get a radio with a remote as another option and run separate wires power and ground to the battery with a fuse at the battery and an inline noise suppressor go with some good speaker wire 14 gauge even on a cheapo stuff use a motorcycle antenna and hide it some where away from speaker magnet or power..

My radio needs a 4 gauge power wire....

Sorry, I'm not interested in anything that hot. I just want to play something for the kids and hear weather reports for the most part. I'm not planning long distance travel with this car as it is cost prohibitive. I am installing a power antenna so I can put the car cover on without removing the antenna each time, other than that cheap is what I can afford. I checked out my local craigslist and kijiji. found NOTHING. My issue is putting it into the glove box. I'd prefer to keep it original looking otherwise. Thank you Moparmarks for the info on the box. I will probably try to remove it and fab my own.

Auto Transport Service
Back