• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to seal holes in your engine bay?

Jsmooth

Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
What is the best way to seal off holes in your engine bay without going to a body shop right away? I have the holes from the AC delete and all the pipes, when driving I feel hot air coming into the car. I will address this later with a paint job and engine bay redo but need a fast fix now. Any suggestions?

Weld them up.

So put on a metal plate on each side bolted together with silicone to seal it off. Pass the bolts through existing Holes. They will be plugged quickly.

Easily removed later to weld a patch.

Body plugs , block off plate bolted through the firewall, of your pipes still stick through add some mastic putty to them.

I used rubber blind grommets to fill the heater hose holes when I removed my heater box. They come in different sizes, cheap, quick and easy to install & remove. Very similar to body plugs but I could get them from the local foam and rubber place.
Blindgrommet1.jpg

Plastic push in pins— can even paint them with body color to help hide them and the are easy to remove!

Yup, I use a GreenLee electrical KnockOut Punch Kit to make my holes.
I run a blower on a sb so access to the transmission bellhousing bolts are limited from the engine bay.
I used a 7/8” punch to make holes in the firewall directly in line with the bellhousing bolts, providing quick and easy removal of said bolts from inside the car.

Make a pattern from paper, cut it out from at least 16ga metal using a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, seal and screw in place. Been in place over 30 years, 4 engines, countless pressure washes and no leaks. Sorry it ain't pretty, function over form, but with a little paint it could look good till you restore.

IMG_1114.JPG

^^^^^^^This! Or, buy some light gauge aluminum sheet at Home Depot or Lowes and cut with a good pair of sheet metal shears. A little RTV and a few self tapping screws and you're set...

Home Depot , Lowes have press in steel plugs in various sizes. McMaster Carr has them all the way up to 2" diameter.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back