• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bias-Ply...I know, I know

Fact, anyone driving at any speed faster 45 mph a tire more than 8 years old is looking to need at the least body work or at higher speeds an injury accident. For the guy talking about fiberglass in a tire, that was the belt material regardless of whether it was a bias ply or radial ply carcass.
Tire squeal will be worse at lower pressures but is typical of the bias ply tire. Run max cold PSI on passenger tires, have the alignment ( toe especially ) rechecked and adjusted as needed. Just beware of old tires, check your DOT codes. Old tires are dangerous, even if you think you are lucky and have gotten away with driving on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

I drive bias ply tires only.
Polyglas, Polyglas GT, Goodyear speedways, dual whitelines on C-bodys and sometimes a Firestone sports Oval redline. I drive them on all my cars since 25+ years.
And some of those repro tires are already 25 years old.
I drive around 20k miles a year on bias ply tires and never one of them let me down. Unlike radials (cooper cobras or BF Goodrich Radial T/A) once in a while in the past.

I do drive them shortly with over 100mph, too. But only if I know the tire doesn't have any dry rot and isn't older than 12 years

Carsten

Auto Transport Service
Back