• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Big Block 727 Push Button Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaker-1

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Pulled this out of a Chrysler years ago. I think it was a '62 with a big block if my memory serves me correctly. Thought I should rescue it just in case I would need it, but I never needed it. Comes with torque converter, flexplate, starter spacer, all cables, trans crossmember, and driveshaft, all from the same car.
Located in Cleveland TN, 37312
Price is $400 for all, or $350 minus driveshaft and crossmember.
IMG_20230517_145500064_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145418465_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145512557_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145438273_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145631844_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145713123_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230517_145503251_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230517_145438273_HDR.jpg

'62 Chrysler still had the small E-brake drum on the output shaft, instead of park pawl inside transmission. Maybe '63 trans?

Well, my brain keeps picturing it as a 64 Chrysler, but I keep thinking that the guy at the yard said it was a 62. My old hard drive has pics of the car but I don't have the time to figure out how to retrieve them. I will look at some pics online of these years to see if it jogs my memory. I'll also see if I can decode the numbers on the trans.
Thanks for your input. I'm now thinking that 64 makes sense.

I googled some pictures of 1962 Chrysers, the car the trans came out of was definitely not one of those. It must have been a '64.

I have a 64 Polara push button with a 318 wideblock. I have a built 383 I’ve been meaning to put into it. Is this a confirmed big block transmission? Also, can anyone more knowledgeable than me confirm if this is a direct swap?

So far I can not decode the numbers stamped on the pan rail but I'm sure someone on here can. Also, I did see on this site that someone posted a diagram of all the small block & big block transmission differences and how to I.D. them. I remember reading about the distance between the top bolt holes on the bell housing. I will try to research that and take pics to confirm when I get back home tomorrow afternoon.

I have a 64 Polara push button with a 318 wideblock. I have a built 383 I’ve been meaning to put into it. Is this a confirmed big block transmission? Also, can anyone more knowledgeable than me confirm if this is a direct swap?
Wide block 318 Poly has same bolt pattern as small block LA 318, 340, 360. It is a 727, but has fewer clutches in clutch packs than Big Block 727. The 383, 413, and 440 have a different rear of the block bolt pattern, so this would not a direct bolt in. The rubber part of the motor mount is the same piece with either small block or big block, but you need the big block engine steel brackets to do the swap. '63 or '64 Chrysler is a good place to find the transmission. Some one on here recently had one for sale. Make sure the donor car also had push buttons. Console shift valve bodies are different and will not work in a push button transmission without modifications.

Wide block 318 Poly has same bolt pattern as small block LA 318, 340, 360. It is a 727, but has fewer clutches in clutch packs than Big Block 727. The 383, 413, and 440 have a different rear of the block bolt pattern, so this would not a direct bolt in. The rubber part of the motor mount is the same piece with either small block or big block, but you need the big block engine steel brackets to do the swap. '63 or '64 Chrysler is a good place to find the transmission. Some one on here recently had one for sale. Make sure the donor car also had push buttons. Console shift valve bodies are different and will not work in a push button transmission without modifications.
Yes. I agree with all the above, with the addition of the 361 and 400 in the big block family. But to clarify for Springwater who is asking for confirmation on weather this is a big block transmission, are you saying that this is a big block trans and will not bolt up to his current engine (318 small block), or are you saying that this is a small block trans and will not bolt up to the 383 big block that he is planning to install? He (buyer) and myself (seller) are trying to find absolute proof that the trans in this listing is in fact a big block trans. Thanks.

Pulled this out of a Chrysler years ago. I think it was a '62 with a big blockView attachment 1466569

Based on the part# P2464424 stamped on the case, that trans is a 1964 used with 361 and 383 big block engines.

Hopefully this info will be helpful to seller and potential buyers.

Based on the part# P2464424 stamped on the case, that trans is a 1964 used with 361 and 383 big block engines.

Hopefully this info will be helpful to seller and potential buyers.
Thank you so much for that C_B5. I very much appreciate that info! I thought I remembered that car having a big block in it but it was so long ago that I just couldn't guarantee it.

By ‘engine steel brackets’ you mean motor mounts right?
I have a good amount of experience with later non-push button mopar stuff, this is just the absolute first push button I’ve ever messed with. (Or 4 door for that matter. Crazy how having kids changes priorities )

Seller- do you have any plans to go to Carlisle this year?

No, I will not be going to Carlisle. Sorry.
Yes, Dave6T4 must be talking about the motor mounts. The steel brackets that bolt to the engine block. They sit between the block and the rubber insulators. The insulators bolt to the k frame.

I re-read my post, and can see how it maybe confused some people, Hell, it confused me! LOL.
I thought the poster was asking if a 383 would bolt to the existing 318 transmission in his car. Instead of whether this transmission would bolt to a 383 he was contemplating putting into his car. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, this transmission from a 1964 Chrysler will bolt to a 383. Same Big Block engine family. Reuse the cables from the transmission in your car, rather than the cables with the Chrysler transmission.
To me, a motor mount is a 2-piece assembly; the steel engine bracket, plus the rubber isolater. To install a 383 in a car that a 318 came out of, you can reuse the 318 isolaters, but you will need to source 1962-1965 Big Block steel engine brackets. Bolt them together, and you have the proper engine mounts.
On early B-bodies, cars that had a 318 had the lower rad hose fitting on the passenger side of the radiator. Big Block cars had this fitting on the driver side. To make the engine installation easier without screwing around with your radiator, find a late '70's water pump housing that has the pump outlet on the passenger side. As a bonus, this also gives you more room around the oil filter. I hope this helps, and removes any confusion from my prior post.

No Worries Dave6T4. Confusion cleared! For me at least. I did not realize the bottom rad hose issue, thanks for that. But I do have a fix for that! I have the radiator from the same car I pulled the trans from.

Poly 318 had bottom radiator hose on drivers side. Same as 273 engines.

How much would it cost to ship a pallet to Springwater NY? Would the radiator be included?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back