• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block driver side motor mount strap

Use the Schumacher set up! You won't be disappointed.

I really like the looks of that Schumacher torque strap. When I nail my 440, it twists so bad that it throws my pistol grip 4-speed handle way over to the right and makes it hard to shift. I have a 70 Charger with power steering. Do you guys know if I would have to remove the power steering pump to install it or drill any holes?

Last edited:
It bolts to the engine block and the k frame. Go to their web site and check it out.

Zinc plated chain ok? That's what my Yard Cart has on it's mean *** V6 lol. I'm sure my original mount broke because it rotted after 20 years and the mighty 6 does have enough torque to rise up and bang the hood with the air cleaner. Hey, don't laugh! It runs a 16.60 in the 1/4 mile!!! :( Wish I had my V8 Dak back.

That's a bit Mexican isn't it?? A torque strap looks a little prettier. :p
Can't see it from the top side, but it is the same rust color as the rest of the underside.Would that be murdered out ?

Do you guys know if I would have to remove the power steering pump to install it or drill any holes?

no and yes. you need to take the power steering BOX out and drill a couple of holes in the half-moon part of the driver's side k-member

DSC03005.JPG
DSC03019.JPG

What crappy mounts were you using that break in 3 days.
Please let me know where I can get good stock mounts these days, the Chinese crap is useless.. I've been using solids for years, just changed to a Schumacher recently

Schumacher's are the best in my opinion.

Please let me know where I can get good stock mounts these days, the Chinese crap is useless.. I've been using solids for years, just changed to a Schumacher recently

EXACTLY why I installed the Schumacher "torque strap." my old {probably} chinesium mounts dented my hood. replaced the old mounts with new {probably chinesium} mounts and added the strap.

Edit: I just noticed on Schumachers' website that the "torque strap" now comes with a heim joint at the motor; mine is a solid mount. WTF.

I just emailed Schumacher to see if they would be willing to sell me just the heim joint...

Ill keep y'all posted.

I installed a schumacher torque strap. easy peasy to put in, and hasn't snapped yet!

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/TorqueStraps.html

View attachment 352100 View attachment 352102
When I decided to build a shaker scoop for my Charger and didn't want a big gaping gap around the scoop to allow for motor movement I built one of these (torque strap). Using factory rubber mounts with a strap means no unnecessary vibrations and no broken mounts or at least yet, to me this is the best alternative. I source a lot of parts like the heim joints threw McMaster Carr, it's an Industrial supplier that I use at work........ a lot of money can be saved threw companies like this.

EXACTLY why I installed the Schumacher "torque strap." my old {probably} chinesium mounts dented my hood. replaced the old mounts with new {probably chinesium} mounts and added the strap.

Edit: I just noticed on Schumachers' website that the "torque strap" now comes with a heim joint at the motor; mine is a solid mount. WTF.
I'm with Mar on the Shumacher torque strap. I used to break motor mounts all the time with my mostly stock 440. Now,that it's stroked and has almost 200 more hp I went with stock motor mounts and added the torque strap. It's cheap insurance, holds the engine down and keeps her from twisting. Didn't have to drill any holes. Don't know about the PS pump cause I have manual steering. Well worth the $$ and no vibration.

I bought my motor mounts from Summit, they were complete junk! The stud was to long causing it to hit the block (had to trim them off) and the nuts were welded on crooked resulting in me grinding the welds off and re-welding them. The torque strap can be installed without removing anything, I drilled mine from the bottom just have a sharp bit so it goes quick.

I was breaking the 'good stuff' in 1970 with a fairly mild 383!

I bought my motor mounts from Summit, they were complete junk! The stud was to long causing it to hit the block (had to trim them off) and the nuts were welded on crooked resulting in me grinding the welds off and re-welding them. The torque strap can be installed without removing anything, I drilled mine from the bottom just have a sharp bit so it goes quick.
Sounds exactly like Shinese Junk....I would have sent them back and told Summit to please supply me with something other than China made sheet. Seems like even if the stuff is made in India, Mexico, BumfucEgypt, it fits but for some reason the sheet that's made in China is absolute junk. Maybe if enough of us do this, the suppliers will look for other sources to get their parts if they're not going to look to the U.S. for it....

I found aftermarket nos on ebay. $7.25 plus shipping for two sets. Made in USA. Going with the Schumacher torque strap for around $80.00

20160731_124221.jpg

If you have a 70' and up k frame, the holes are already there. They use the sway bar mounting holes. If you have a 69' and down, you gotta drill holes.

Auto Transport Service
Back