• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block driver side motor mount strap

Please let me know where I can get good stock mounts these days, the Chinese crap is useless.. I've been using solids for years, just changed to a Schumacher recently
I wish I knew. I see the OP also went through a pair of mity mights. I ordered a set and couldn't get them on. The nut was welded on so crooked I couldn't even get a thread started when they were out of the car. They did send me another one but I opted for a set from napa and a strap.

Maybe tomorrow morning I'll do this.
Found perfect longer bolt is big block main cap bearing bolt.
Add some washers, lock 2 nuts at deep end to leave tight slip at nut end.

I'm with Mar on the Shumacher torque strap. I used to break motor mounts all the time with my mostly stock 440. Now,that it's stroked and has almost 200 more hp I went with stock motor mounts and added the torque strap. It's cheap insurance, holds the engine down and keeps her from twisting. Didn't have to drill any holes. Don't know about the PS pump cause I have manual steering. Well worth the $$ and no vibration.
Question, when you snug down the Schumacher torque strap on the bushing end (bottom), how tight should you go? I bought one and was installing it yesterday, but wasn't sure how tight to go. I snugged it down pretty good, but then got to thinking that maybe I should loosen it up to give some ability to absorb vibration.

Question, when you snug down the Schumacher torque strap on the bushing end (bottom), how tight should you go? I bought one and was installing it yesterday, but wasn't sure how tight to go. I snugged it down pretty good, but then got to thinking that maybe I should loosen it up to give some ability to absorb vibration.

IIRC, snugged down tight is good. the instructions do not show any sort of torque spec for it, so as long as it's tight and not cranked down, it should be good.

They are a sway bar bushing, so they need to be snug.

Never got time to put in my modified mount because of moving, getting into friends apartment, and taking care of other loose ends. One loose end was getting a newer car to drive.
Bought a used Michigan state police 2013 Dodge Charger
because I can't consider a 70 mile commute in my 1972 Dart, and the 1966 Belvedere II conv is not eligible for wintertime daily use.
Once the floor jack was gone, it couldn't happen.
The car went to the shop in the city I plan to move to the day I bout the Charger.
My friend at the shop will be putting the mount in.
The car was in storage for 5 years, but I just gave it two months of daily use.
Maybe I will go to the shop and do it while I'm waiting on a house,
which is about 2 blocks from the shop.
That way I have an excuse to go by the house and see if people are moving out.
It was foreclosed and I'm waiting for it to go on the market.

Auto Transport Service
Back