• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Fabricated valve covers ?

MoparLite

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Good day!

Who out there is making a set of quality fabricated valve covers?

Have set of Moroso 68181 w/installed grommets...Edelbrock RPM Performer heads (60829) on a 440.

Need a couple grommets for the Moroso’s...so was checking to see options on quality (reasonably priced?) fabricated valve covers. Prefer short bolts. Brushed aluminum...chrome is not important.

Goal is to have same breathers that plug into Moroso’s...fit back in to new valve covers also. (don’t want to change out breather set up...just swap valve covers)

Been on the site for a bit but new to Mopar...coming over from the AMC world.

PM or post...thank you!

Michael

Last edited:
Good day!

Have set of Moroso 68181 w/installed grommets...Edelbrock RPM Performer heads (60829) on a 440.

Need a couple grommets for the Moroso’s...so was checking to see options on quality (reasonably priced?) fabricated valve covers. Prefer short bolts. Brushed aluminum...chrome is not important.

Goal is to have same breathers that plug into Moroso’s...fit back in to new valve covers also. (don’t want to change out breather set up...just swap valve covers)

PM or post...thank you!

Michael
Have you tried “440source.com”
I’ve bought a set of their Fab
Covers & they're OK …

Give em a try , they are good people & fellow enthusiasts..,

mopar2ya!!

Good day!

PM or post...thank you!

Michael
Your post is more about questions about what to use so I moved it from the WTB market place. Once your questions are answered, then go ahead and start a wanted ad. I also have a pair of new BB fabricated covers but don't even know the brand name or how they would fit what you have. The seem to fit stock heads ok though.....

Nobody makes good fabbed covers for Mopar big-blocks IMO.

The 440source are the best I've found, but they have no breather holes or baffles so you need to add them yourself. The rails weren't perfectly flat but were MUCH better than others I've tried; I skimmed them a hair on a big table sander to true them up. They also come raw and have some forming marks usually so if you want them to look purty, that's more DIY time.

All the rest are cheap chinese garbage with leaky welds, warped flanges that drip oil down onto the headers and block, and holes that either don't line up or have weld in the way of the bolts sitting flat. At least all the fabbed ones I've tried and I've tried quite a few.

I made my 440source covers a little side project and am very happy with them now, but it took some fab work. From now on I'll probably stick to cast covers like the ones "hunt2elk" linked to above.

external.gif

Last edited:
Nobody makes good fabbed covers for Mopar big-blocks IMO.

The 440source are the best I've found, but they have no breather holes or baffles so you need to add them yourself. The rails weren't perfectly flat but were MUCH better than others I've tried; I skimmed them a hair on a big table sander to true them up. They also come raw and have some forming marks usually so if you want them to look purty, that's more DIY time.

All the rest are cheap chinese garbage with leaky welds, warped flanges that drip oil down onto the headers and block, and holes that either don't line up or have weld in the way of the bolts sitting flat. At least all the fabbed ones I've tried and I've tried quite a few.

I made my 440source covers a little side project and am very happy with them now, but it took some fab work. From now on I'll probably stick to cast covers like the ones "hunt2elk" linked to above.

View attachment 1117123
Yeah....generally, the cast covers are a good bet. I still have the pair of the Moroso chrome steel covers that didn't leak when they were on my drag car....actually, have two pair of them.

I have the exact same chinese cast covers as the ones hunt2elk mentions, except mine were from summit, natural finish, and no longer available.(natural finish, polished are still available).
What i have found: the flanges were quite good, flat, but i made them better on a granite surface plate.
The mounting holes didnt line up with stock cast iron heads at all. To use them with vc studs, i had to move the intake side holes at least an eighth inch. They might work fine with aftermarket aluminum heads.
The grommet holes are an odd chinese metric size, the grommets i found were either too loose, or too tight to get in. I had to modify the holes.
The baffle under the grommet interferes with the holddown bolts for the rocker arm shaft, had to either eliminate the baffle or modify the holddown bolt. No chance with studs and nuts.
Other than that.......

Last edited:
I have the exact same chinese cast covers as the ones hunt2elk mentions, except mine were from summit, natural finish, and no longer available.(natural finish, polished are still available).
What i have found: the flanges were quite good, flat, but i made them better on a granite surface plate.
The mounting holes didnt line up with stock cast iron heads at all. To use them with vc studs, i had to move the intake side holes at least an eighth inch. They might work fine with aftermarket aluminum heads.
The grommet holes are an odd chinese metric size, the grommets i found were either too loose, or too tight to get in. I had to modify the holes.
The baffle under the grommet interferes with the holddown bolts for the rocker arm shaft, had to either eliminate the baffle or modify the holddown bolt. No chance with studs and nuts.
Other than that.......
I must have got a better set than you. My holes all lined up, mine are on Trick Flow 240's however. Didn't have any issues with grommets either. I also added this fill cap which works great.

20210530_151249.jpg 20210530_151302.jpg

Good info. May just replace grommets...not having any issues with the Moroso's fit. Appreciate all the feedback!

I must have got a better set than you. My holes all lined up, mine are on Trick Flow 240's however. Didn't have any issues with grommets either. I also added this fill cap which works great.

View attachment 1117223 View attachment 1117224
Im sure the trick flows make the difference. Im betting the trick flows have the valve cover hold down bolts 90° to the valve cover surface. Factory iron mopar aren't.

Auto Transport Service
Back