• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Mopar Mickey Thompson Valve Covers or Mopar Performance Valve Covers?

streetmachine

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I'm just wondering what's the better valve cover out these two choices? I tried searching here but, didn't come up with anything. I realize sometimes newer is better so that's why I wanted to ask? These will be going on a 440 with cast iron heads and Holley Street Dominator intake. Thank you in advance for any information you could provide.

Don’t buy these. They make a mess. :lol:

1670724348722.jpeg

What is the valve train? Rocker arms? Note that some rockers are higher in height and may not clear certain valve covers, suggest U double check before purchasing..

Just my $0.02....

What is the valve train? Rocker arms? Note that some rockers are higher in height and may not clear certain valve covers, suggest U double check before purchasing..

Just my $0.02....
The rocker arms are stock units. I apologize for not clarifying that the Mopar ones I'm referring to are the black wrinkle covers made in California I believe. Not the chrome ones made by Proform I believe it is.

The m/ts are very durable, they fit well on just about every head. I like them.
The Mopar ones however, are very brittle. I have seen many with cracked corners.

The vast majority of big block Mickey Thompsons were Made In Japan. They're slightly inferior aluminum quality and have a few cosmetic differences.

The Mopar Performance were cast in three foundries. Originally available as- cast/natural, polished or black wrinkle, all were discontinued a few years ago.

After restoring/customizing dozens over the years, I firmly believe the very best castings were chosen for polishing, the next best were sold as-cast, and the absolute worst ones were heavily covered in black wrinkle.

Casting quality is all over the map, typical of sand cast aluminum. The ones cast in California were usually the worst and needed the most bodywork.

And then there's this.

It's been years, and my pics are gone now with site updates, but the fact remains that the dog ears left the factory with metal defects no one was inclined to do much about, leaving nearly every victim believing they simply over-tightened them.

These days the MPs are still very popular with enthusiasts (I'm working up a small block set right now for a guy in Australia). If you can find an intact set under $400 consider yourself lucky.

My guy just got half his money back last night as timing would have it. He wasn't so lucky ...
Custom Powder Coating ...

20221207_144534.jpg20221207_144541.jpg

Hit me up if I can help with yours when you find some! (I have one set in my stash with one knockout opened if you're inclined to get them dolled up.)

Here's a few ideas on aftermarket covers to spark your imagination.

FB_IMG_1642879133888.jpg20220308_161147.jpg8727477_orig.jpgFB_IMG_1650335375210.jpgVC's after1.jpgFB_IMG_1654722573899.jpgScreenshot_20220608-161331_Facebook.jpg20220708_153819.jpg

Last edited:
The mickeys are very retro, and expensive as a result. Definite day two mod. I like the mickeys better than the mopars, though cuda chick can do miracles with them.
I'm using the moroso gold, but I had to paint them, the gold was too scratched up to pass muster.

My vintage M/Ts have held up well.

To help seal them up better I ground some metal off by the bolt holes. Stock BB iron heads sealing surface is not totally flat and is a bit raised by the bolt holes. Putting cover on without gasket will show where high spots are that cause a gap that thin valve cover gaskets to have a hard time sealing.

Go for the cheap Summit DieCast Covers and do your own thing on them.
I just had vinyl stickers printed up to give a throw back nod to Mopars hustle stuff.

I adore the Cal Customs but they are wayyyy to expensive.
When is Holley gonna buy out the name and products and start reproducing the timeless pieces!

My 23 cents.

Summit Racing™ Diecast Aluminum Valve Covers SUM-440350

Valve Covers, Tall, Cast Aluminum, Polished, Plain, Big Block Chrysler, Pair

Part Number: SUM-440350

HUSTLE STUFF IN RED WHITE AND BLUE.JPG

20201214_173144.jpg

The vast majority of big block Mickey Thompsons were Made In Japan. They're slightly inferior aluminum quality and have a few cosmetic differences.

The Mopar Performance were cast in three foundries. Originally available as- cast/natural, polished or black wrinkle, all were discontinued a few years ago.

After restoring/customizing dozens over the years, I firmly believe the very best castings were chosen for polishing, the next best were sold as-cast, and the absolute worst ones were heavily covered in black wrinkle.

Casting quality is all over the map, typical of sand cast aluminum. The ones cast in California were usually the worst and needed the most bodywork.

And then there's this.

It's been years, and my pics are gone now with site updates, but the fact remains that the dog ears left the factory with metal defects no one was inclined to do much about, leaving nearly every victim believing they simply over-tightened them.

These days the MPs are still very popular with enthusiasts (I'm working up a small block set right now for a guy in Australia). If you can find an intact set under $400 consider yourself lucky.

My guy just got half his money back last night as timing would have it. He wasn't so lucky ...
Custom Powder Coating ...

View attachment 1385928View attachment 1385929

Hit me up if I can help with yours when you find some! (I have one set in my stash with one knockout opened if you're inclined to get them dolled up.)

Here's a few ideas on aftermarket covers to spark your imagination.

View attachment 1385937View attachment 1385938View attachment 1385939View attachment 1385940View attachment 1385941View attachment 1385942View attachment 1385943View attachment 1385944
We’re can I get the black MOPAR performance ones for my 66 charger with a 383?

Go for the cheap Summit DieCast Covers and do your own thing on them.
I just had vinyl stickers printed up to give a throw back nod to Mopars hustle stuff.

I adore the Cal Customs but they are wayyyy to expensive.
When is Holley gonna buy out the name and products and start reproducing the timeless pieces!

My 23 cents.

Summit Racing™ Diecast Aluminum Valve Covers SUM-440350

Valve Covers, Tall, Cast Aluminum, Polished, Plain, Big Block Chrysler, Pair

Part Number: SUM-440350

View attachment 1388722

View attachment 1388723
I bought those from summit when they were still available natural cast. I like em, and I haven't figured out what I'm gonna do to dress em up..... but they're clearly Chinese, and the top two holes, intake side, had to be moved at least an eighth inch to line up with the holes on an iron head. And proper grommets to fit the holes in the top are hard to find, and not included.

Far as I know all suppliers are and have been Out of Stock for years. Jump on For Sale ads because they tend to sell quickly.

As an aside, last Friday a customer called to advise he had just purchased a Mopar Performance air cleaner assembly from Mancini -- "it says 'They're BACK!' right there on the website" he tells me -- and was shipping it direct. $134!!!!!!
Maybe they'll start casting the valve covers again???

I don't like either of them. I don't advertise others brand names on my cars. Go the extra mile to weld up up or machine logo's off of everything. Except tires, obviously that wouldn't be safe to grind on tires.

There might be a couple of vendors out there that have them and eBay. I believe some vendor on Amazon on them has them but, they want I think $650ish? for the valve covers plus the air cleaner that goes with them.

Auto Transport Service
Back