• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Mopar Mickey Thompson Valve Covers or Mopar Performance Valve Covers?

My apologies for the delay in writing. I wanted to add to this thread that I ended with a set of Mickey Thompson's for around $160 shipped. They need polished which I can do. Again thank you for everyone. So, after these I may snag a spare set. Looking at the Cal Customs or the Mopar Performance ones. Just whatever I decide that peaks my interest.

The vast majority of big block Mickey Thompsons were Made In Japan. They're slightly inferior aluminum quality and have a few cosmetic differences.

The Mopar Performance were cast in three foundries. Originally available as- cast/natural, polished or black wrinkle, all were discontinued a few years ago.

After restoring/customizing dozens over the years, I firmly believe the very best castings were chosen for polishing, the next best were sold as-cast, and the absolute worst ones were heavily covered in black wrinkle.

Casting quality is all over the map, typical of sand cast aluminum. The ones cast in California were usually the worst and needed the most bodywork.

And then there's this.

It's been years, and my pics are gone now with site updates, but the fact remains that the dog ears left the factory with metal defects no one was inclined to do much about, leaving nearly every victim believing they simply over-tightened them.

These days the MPs are still very popular with enthusiasts (I'm working up a small block set right now for a guy in Australia). If you can find an intact set under $400 consider yourself lucky.

My guy just got half his money back last night as timing would have it. He wasn't so lucky ...
Custom Powder Coating ...

View attachment 1385928View attachment 1385929

Hit me up if I can help with yours when you find some! (I have one set in my stash with one knockout opened if you're inclined to get them dolled up.)

Here's a few ideas on aftermarket covers to spark your imagination.

View attachment 1385937View attachment 1385938View attachment 1385939View attachment 1385940View attachment 1385941View attachment 1385942View attachment 1385943View attachment 1385944

Geeze Leanna, that last pic of those blue MTs look incredible. I wonder what kind of bad assed 500 inch stroker is sporting those.
:lol:

IMG_3038.jpg

Last edited:
Geeze Leanna, that last pic of those blue MTs look incredible. I wonder what kind of bad assed 500 inch stroker is sporting those.
:lol:

View attachment 1419220

He's a great dude with cool ideas and a beautiful ride. Wish I could remember his name though ....... lol
:poke:

As timing would have it, the butchered covers in my last post up there for the guy in Australia just got done Wednesday night after a lot of reconstruction work.

20230215_163031.jpgScreenshot_20230216-123349_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230216-123407_Samsung Internet.jpg

For what it's worth Streetmachine, I have had to do quite a bit of clearance work, grinding, sanding, reaming etc. to get my old MTs to fit the Trick Flow 240s properly.
I was on a mission to make them work for nostalgia sake. Something in the back of my mind says I could have saved allot of brain damage and $$ in the long run by buying new covers but I'm pleased by the way things turned out.

For what it's worth Streetmachine, I have had to do quite a bit of clearance work, grinding, sanding, reaming etc. to get my old MTs to fit the Trick Flow 240s properly.
I was on a mission to make them work for nostalgia sake. Something in the back of my mind says I could have saved allot of brain damage and $$ in the long run by buying new covers but I'm pleased by the way things turned out.
My apologies for the delay in posting. Thank you for that information. Right now, I'm just hoping to use the 452s that on the current engine. For the purpose of this car the 452s suit the purpose fine but, if I ever have to get 240s then I will definitely keep this in mind with regards to them.

Back in the day I had numerous sets of valve covers. I had a set of chrome (not sure brand) junk, M/T cast black crinkle real good, another chrome that was real good (forget the brand), Mopar Blue thin anodized aluminum (pretty good if I was real careful with the bolts).

I'm still using the moroso gold equivalent of the Mopar aluminum blue, but with a coat of turquoise over the scratched up gold. Using homemade spreaders, and hardware store setscrews for studs.

Auto Transport Service
Back