• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bit by the Hellcat bug...what would you do?

69redrunner

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Man o man...I would love to get a Hellcat. Problem is, I would have to sell the roadrunner and my daily driver 06 charger to free up some down payment money. I'd still have to finance probably $20-30K.

What would you do? Go for the cat or keep the bird?

Keep the bird. I wouldnt go into debt for a hellcat. At least wait for low mileage used cars.

X2. I think the Hellcat is cool too. But the old Road Runner is proven cool over many years, and will turn way more heads than the Hellcat will. I say wait until you can buy a used one...

Personal peference here. An 09 R/T is NOT a Hellcat, but it has 10,000 miles on it. I've put 25,000 on the Coronet in that same time frame. If something had to go it would not be the B Body.

I think the Hellcat is a great car and I'd love to get me one too. I've pondered on the idea of selling one of my cars to make way in my garage for one. I have to keep reminding myself that high ticket car buying is a thing of the past for me since I'm basically semi retired now and my finances need to last me another 40 years (I'm in my 40's). But I know that if I was still working with good cash flow, I'd have one for sure.

But I would never get rid of one of my older mopars. Unless I was sick and tired of the constantly fixing these old cars, I'd have nothing to play with anymore in the garage. I would regret it dearly.

Dude, keep the Roadrunner. Dodge is coming out with something new and trick every few years, along with every other manufacturer out there.

The RoadRunner is an ICON.

My opinion?
I was bitten bu the introduction of the 2007 Shelby GT500s
I bought two.
Recently sold one (35,000 miles)
Got another in the garage, 197 miles on "her"

FORD flooded the market with them...
Dodge WILL DO THE SAME
It's a money game...period!

Want a rare car?
Get a Viper....

You could sell the RR to me really cheap. Or, just put a 700 hp engine in the RR. (and save yourself alot of money).

Oh, as a side note, I personally think paying AT or OVER sticker for ANY car ( and I don't care what it is) is foolish. I was going to buy a Shelby Mustang, then a Challenger SRT when they came out. Walked in to the dealers, they told me how much they were gouging, and I walked out. My urges for each car passed not too long afterward.

My opinion is to keep the RR. Like posted above, the auto manufacturers will keep popping out new models with cooler ones every year. All I can do is leave you with two of my thoughts; one short and one long.

I'd never sell my '69 Super Bee to go for the Hellcat (short thought). Here's the long one:

In 2012, I bought a brand new SRT8 Challenger Yellow Jacket. Since then, Dodge has introduced some cool stuff like the Challenger "Shaker", and the Hellcat. Though tempted to go the Hellcat route, I'm keeping the Jacket as only 1,310 of them were made that year. They will always make something cooler in the years to follow.

Keep the RR, like said it's an ICON of a by-gone ERA.

Put a REALLY NICE 440 6bbl in the RR.

Just this morning I was going through all my emails, pictures, questions and replies of when IQ52 built my motor, what a great experience, not just the end result of a running motor but all the details that go along with it.

Have fun!

Most folks haven't a clue how to handle 700HP, and the time/place to use those ponies is pretty limited (unless you want to be in jail or kissing phone pole). Forget about unloading on go-go pedal, unless conditions are perfectly ripe for it. I don't run 700HP, but 632HP/696TQ on a car weighing 500Lbs less. Yup, very fun to drive, but there is a whole lot of variables to pay more critical attention to .....catching the right RPM & throttle position and transition, road surface condition, tire condition, tire pressure are all very critical.

That being said, a car running 350-450HP has the same variables, but sure are not as essential. Also, not being so precise with throttle/RPM, can actually can make for a more fun car to drive. If you want to race, take it to the track....but if there comes a need to put someone in their place, unless all the variables are in place for you to lay her down, good chance the cars running a couple hundred less horse are going to hang right with you anyways.

One more thing to think about, throw some wet surface/adverse conditions at it, it's going to be an absolute nightmare to drive.

Not trying to deter you from chasing your dreams. Just letting you know what it's like driving the street with a car that runs in the higher paramount of HP/TQ. It's fun, it's addicting, but it's a whole lot more of threading the needle as well. If you're just going to puppy it and showboat for bragging rights, that's obviously a whole other story. Whatever route you go, good luck.

I sold off a couple of my cars for other reasons and have been kicking my *** for it ever since!! Keep the runner! I've done the same thing I did in late 69 when the original E bodies came out....walked away from them and bought one 4 years later for a lot less money.

x2 on what Prop said and just the simple consideration that your roadrunner isn't going anywhere in Value except maybe =/- $2000 depending on economy.... why would you get rid of a car that is money in the bank/holding it's value/appreciating for something that would put you in debt and have negative equity the minute you drive off the lot?

KEEP THE BIRD !!!!!!! Unless you have the cash to buy the Hellcat also (like RC), IMHO, it's stupid to get rid of a classic and a dd, to go into debt and just have one car especially taking into consideration what Prop said about drivability and what other members have said about there will always be new cars coming out but they will never make more 69 birds.

Keep your roadrunner....if anything maybe do a few upgrades and watch for a hellcat down the road that's been well kept......they will show up...they always do...let someone else take the first hit.........I've done what your thinking and regretted it.......MO

Auto Transport Service
Back