• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block Heaters

When we have something up here that you can't put a block heater in, we use a stick on pan heater. Kats is popular.
That is the brand I used. Unfortunately, both internally shorted out in a little over a year. When I tried to reorder it at the local auto parts store, they gave me the second one for free, which was nice. Neither one lasted more than a year & a half.

If a guy wants to get serious, dual block heaters and a pan heater. Spin over like summer at -40.

That is the brand I used. Unfortunately, both internally shorted out in a little over a year. When I tried to reorder it at the local auto parts store, they gave me the second one for free, which was nice. Neither one lasted more than a year & a half.
I've only seen 1 actually burn out, and that was a result of not being glued down evenly and flatly. Maybe if they're plugged in for a super long time? Like a week?
Or if corrosion gets in-between..

Both of mine were the same one. Magnetic and were affixed to the bottom of the pan upside down. They didn't distort like they were melted or anything, but no longer put out any heat & tripped the GFI outlet they were plugged into immediately. They were still clean as well, no oil residue from any leakage or surface oil. They were plugged in the whole time as well.

Periodically here in Minnesota I need to move my stuff around. I do nothing to them except leave them full of gas and coolant. I even leave the battery in there. On a -15F day they always start.
Modern oils aren't like in the old days, they "move" through an engine much quicker. Also remember that when you're cranking it, even for 10 secs the pump has already turned 100's of times. No need to preheat the oil for it to work.

In the industry I'm in, amongst other things, we install and maintain large pumps. Typically any where from 500-3000 gpm. These pumps are typically driven by an electric or diesel engine. The diesel engines are required by code to be installed either with a block heater OR be in an environment where the engine temp is always warm so it can start quickly and with minimal strain. These engines are required to be started weekly (manually or automatically) and run for 30 minutes minimum. This gives the engine ample time to get up to running temperature, lubricate sufficiently, and burn off any moisture accumulated internally during the first few minutes after start up. Pretty consistent with the heart of this thread I'd say.
Boy, that sounds familiar....
#40+yearfiresprinklerguy :)

Both of mine were the same one. Magnetic and were affixed to the bottom of the pan upside down. They didn't distort like they were melted or anything, but no longer put out any heat & tripped the GFI outlet they were plugged into immediately. They were still clean as well, no oil residue from any leakage or surface oil. They were plugged in the whole time as well.
Sorry I wasn't specific enough. I was referring to the ones that are a thin flat pad, and adhere to the surface. Like a sticker.

Auto Transport Service
Back